1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

throwing up, im a little worried

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Nov 4, 2005.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

Hyde my 6 month old puppy has been throwing up, he threw up this moring 2 times at 3:40am. It wasnt a lot, and it looked like food. He threw up some lunch yesterday, and the day before he threw up breakfast. All of the times it was food. I havnt changed anything and I havnt given him anything extra that I dont normally give him. I worked for 12 hours tuesday and my boyfriend was watching him, hyde might have gotten into something then, but he also threw up that morning before i left for work.

Otherwise he is acting normal, very playful, eating, drinking, no other symptoms of anything except the vommiting. How long do I let this continue before taking him in?

My other dog use to throw up too but she had other issues,anyway I kept bringing her to the Vet just for them to say she must have gotten into something and it will pass. So I started giving her a slice of bread an hour after every meal and she has stopped. I give Hyde a piece too just incase, so obviously the bread isnt working for Hyde. He was also dewormed about 2-3 months ago. Current on all shots and as far as I know hasnt eaten anything he shouldnt.

Just as I was typing this Hyde threw up agian, there was a piece of bullystick from lastnight in it. However I have always given him bullysticks, can a dog randomly get an upset stomach from something they eat all the time?

So I dont know if I should take him in with me to work or not. As I said everytime I take a dog in for vommiting, i pay the stupid exam fee for them to tell me he got into something. Since I saw the bully stick in the vomit maybe thats whats cauing it and in that case i just wont give him them anymore, should I give him a day and see if he does better? Thanks

And just to clarify I am more then willing to bring him to the Vet, its just in the past I seem to jump the gun and the dog is fine, so thats why im asking, thanks agian!

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I would keep an eye on him see how he goes since the bullystick has come up and see if he is any better.

Sounds to me like he may have an upset stomach i havea bitch that throws up alot when the weather changes no idea why tho hehehe

As you say he is not lethargic, Still eating and drinking and generally very well.
    So i would see how he goes for the rest of the day and if he throws up again have him to the vets for a check up.

Keep us posted of his progress.

Mike

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Could have been the bullystick or a number of other things but then again....Im just curious, how long after eating and/or drinking does he throw up? Whats usually in the content of the vomit? is it food or yellow fluid (bile)? What is he doing just before he throws up....like is there a 'pattern' to it?

4. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Both Duncan and Dowser will throw up water sometimes when excited. I have started taking up the water when I get home till they settle down.
    All three dogs will throw up when over heated or if they have chewed up some dirt or grass. Once Dowser threw up some of a greenie, it was his last one.

5. winnie

winnie New Member

Well I took him to work with me yesterday so I could keep an eye on him. I didnt feed him breakfast or dinner. 24 hour fast. I just fed him breakfast and he threw it all up! Now im really worried. Fasting didnt help so Im thinking it times to go in. What could this be? Usually when i ave a dog thats throwing up they have gotten into something and it goes away after a day. And he is still a puppy so im worried about him not eating.

poor hyde :(

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Maybe a pancreas thing? Or a blockage - like possibly the rest of the bully stick? I'd take him to the vet ASAP. Let us know what happens!!

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I agree with Jimiya, Wylie was doing the same thing last year and it went on for about 4 days, she would throw up every time she ate and then what freaked me out is she threw up her breakfast hours later so it wasnt getting into her stomahc to be digested, the vet thought it was pancreatiits, which treatment means no food just fluid for 3-4 days, they kept her at the vet during this time, she also had an enlarged duodnum, this thing that goes into the stomach, well the pancreatits test came back negative, but she did get better. Pancreatitis is usually caused b a dog gorging on fatty food like gettng into the trash. so do have the vet check her out asap.

8. winnie

winnie New Member

Thanks everyone! Hyde has an appt today. Hopefully we will figure out whats wrong with him. Yesterday I tried hand feeding him small amounts slowly, to see if maybe he has been eating too fast, and he threw up right after I gave him the food.So I guess thats not the problem.

He has also been wanting to go outside more often then normal, and i havnt seen him poop yesterday. Im gonna watch him this morning and hopefully get a poop sample, but since he hasnt eaten he has nothing to poop out.

Ill let you all know what happens! Thanks!

9. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

Snickers has gastric reflux, so she does get sick a little bit every morning, but it's just bile, sometimes grass or a leaf. That sounds nothing like what your dog has though. Glad you got an appt, I'd be worried sick!

10. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

How is Hyde. It's been a couple days since we heard from you I hope everything is OK.