1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

throwing up

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by cintamasak, Jul 31, 2004.

1. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

i am new to this board. i have a 9 mth old maltipoo (my first pet) and he pees in the house, only upstairs where it is carpeted. tried everything but nothing seems to work.
    recently he doesn't seem to have the appetite and has not finish his dry dog food daily. he has been on dry dog food since i got him at 3 mths old. he has also been throwing up almost daily. i have not switched dog food either. any advise? many thanks.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Thats the #1 sighn of Parvo!! Get taht pup to the vet!

They start getting lathargic, vomiting, loss of appetite....
    Defiantely take him to the vet ASAP!

As for the urination on carpeted areas, block him from going up there at all.

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Has he had any of shots? You HAVE to get him into the vet immediately. It sounds like the beginning of Parvo. Has he had any diarreha?

4. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

what is parvo? had had diarreah last week and was given antibiotics and that has stopped.
    his shots are all up to date.

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Parvo is a disease that dogs get that is VERY deadly and super contagious. It starts with lethargy, low appetite, a white, kind of foamy vomiting, diarreha, then bloody vomiting and bloody diarreha. You really need to take the dog in. If it is Parvo, and even with the shots being current, due to his age, he could still contract Parvo. Time is your enemy with Parvo, you have to treat a dog infected immediatley if you want any hope of saving them. If that is what is going on. Why did your dog have diarreha last week?

6. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

i belive the weekending july 17. he had blood in his stools and we did bring a stool specimen to the vet. he was put on antibiotics for 10 days. he is just not eating and vomitting but seem fine otherwise.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

just take him to the vet...look up Parvo on google and it'll scare you enough that maybe you will.

8. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

9. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

said if i dont hear from them that means everything is ok. so i dont know what they tested for or the outcome.

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Are you familiar with this vet? I would get that dog into another vet ASAP. I almost lost my dog to Parvo, you cannot believe how bad this disease is. Please check out the links I provided and I would really go to another vet right now.

11. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Get that pup to the vet NOW!!! Once you read this leave! Take him to another vet. YOur vet doesn't seem to know what to look for. Now GO!

12. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

thanks a million

13. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Let us know how everything goes and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck!

14. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

i took chicco to the vet this morning and the vet took took some blood and will call me tuesday for the results on his stool and blood as monday is civic holiday. he had diarrhea this morning too. in the meantime she also gave him 5 syringe of deworming med. reassured me it is not parvo.
    many thanks to everyone who responded to my post esp. sarge's mom.

15. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

That seems like a long time to have to wait for the results and I dont know how she can assure its not parvo, its a very sneaky desease. Comes up quick and kills even quicker. I am not trying to scare you but I would take him to another vet just to verify. As by tuesday it may be too late. Especially since she has started with diahrea, is she still vomiting? If you arent going to take her in to someone else you really need to push fluids, try doing a search on this board cause there are some really good recipies for dogs with parvo.

16. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Just to be safe, and it will only help your dog, buy some unflavored Pediolyte for babies, and give it to your dog. You can fill up a medicine syringe and place it in the corner of the dog's mouth and gently expel the fluid. Hold her mouth shut and rub her throat gently if she won't swallow voluntarily. You need to do it every hour or so to make sure she is replacing her electrolytes and keeps up her strength. You can also give her low sodium chicken broth the same way to help build her strength up. I know we all probably sound a little panic stricken to you, it's just that once you have seen what Parvo can do and how fast it moves, you don't underestimate it. And, I agree with 3dogsihave, I am not sure how the vet could say it is not Parvo. I would seriously consider another opinion. There are other conditions that have similar symptoms, but, not usually all of the classic Parvo symptoms together. Just want to be sure you have all the info you need. If you need anything at all you can private message me or e-mail too.

17. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

the blood test came back ok but i still have to wait for the results on the stool. he is alot better now and i thank god he is ok. hasn't thrown up or had diarreah. still on prescription diet on vet's advise. how soon from the first day of diarreah and vomitting can parvo be diagnosed? i can't imagine losing him as i read stravieso's posting. my heart goes out to her. i am very grateful for all the advise and info i got from everyone here.
    i had checked out best pets website (which i got from here) and would like to place an order. as i live in ontario canada and have never order anything online, i am a little hesitant. any advise?