1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Time for a new trick....?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by :o)rosie:o), Jan 10, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Rosie's 5months & she can sit, stay & come pretty well. Im wondering wether I should move on & teach her some other tricks or should I keep practicing with those ones? What could your baby's do at 5months?
    Thanx

2. WinniPoo

WinniPoo New Member

I am sooooooooo jealous, Winnie is such a brat sometimes, but I did manage to teach her to sit. the only time she stays is when we let our other dog in the door because Winnie been plowed down too many times. She will not will not will not come when told. I will admit she is very spoiled and that is totally my fault. I will say just last night she kept running out of the laundry room with socks and you know what else and when I told her to drop it SHE DID!!! but that one just one day. Wish me luck.

3. :o)rosie:o)

lol. Rosie has a fetish for socks as well but shes hasn't learnt to GIVE yet so it's a bit hard to get the socks back. How old is Winnie?

4. :o)rosie:o)

Oh dont worry about how old Winnie is I already know from my other post. :arrow:

5. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello Rosie,

I think for 5 months to do what you have listed is great, as long as it is consistant. At 5 months my Abbey was at about the same level.
    I would try getting her to do it in a safe park setting off leash, and continue to work on that. I think that at about 6-7 months of age, we started give paw, and the other one. But during our little training sessions, we always went from one thing hse knew 100% to the new thing, thsi way we thought that it would help her confidence.

Abbey is 19 months old, and I can take her to the park (off leash) put her in a sit stay, and walk all the way accross the park approx (200ft) and she will not move until told. As soon as I give the "come" signal, she tears across the park full speed to me. I am pretty proud! Also, we have named about 3 of her stuffed toys, and Abbey can "get em" by name! She will even go down to teh basement, and bring up whatever one we have called for. She amazes me! : )

6. :o)rosie:o)

Thanx A lot Abbeys-mum :D
    Thats so good what Abbey can do! Hopefully onee day Rosie will get there :wink:. I've been trying to perfect sit come & stay but somtimes when shes feeling stubborn she wont sit unless she can smell or see that I have a treat. I've been trying to cut down a bit on the times I give a treat when she does the right thing so that she learns somtimes theres a treat but others theres not. Do you have any suggestions?

7. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hi Rosie!

Usually during a training time with Abbey, I would start out withteh treat as reward, and then alternate giving a treat and a "good girl!", but I always end with giving a treat.
    Example:
    Abbey Sit - treat
    Abbey come - treat
    Abbey sit - good girl
    Abbey come - treat
    Abbey sit - good girl
    Abbey stay - treat
    Abbey come - good girl
    Abbbey get FRED - treat
    Abbey get Chew - good girl
    Abbey sit - treat

Training Session over!

I also get creative with treats, all of these cut to teh size of your baby finger nail, apples, cheese, carrots, cheerios, hot dogs. It doesn't have to be the doggie treats in a package.

8. :o)rosie:o)

Thanx :eek:
    I've tried just making the treats random but unless shes in a good mood its hard to make her sit etc unless she knows theres a treat for her. BUt ill keep at it!
    thanx again