1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Breeding Livebearers!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Now that I have my guppy pair (male and female, but I am going to buy a new female tomorrow) and my sunset platy pair ( fe/male) and I am going to buy my silver molly pair, I think that I would like them to breed. Any tips?

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

with livebearers allways keep a higher female to male ratio like 3to1 it takes the stress off of the female

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Alrightt. Any other advice.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, i belibve they need some salt in the water to help.....maybe a tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 10 gallons. im not 100% on that so you might want to do a little research. in general livebearers give birth easier with some salt in the water.

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I thought, you only do that to mollies. Anyways, I got my two female guppies and the male, so I am ready to breed them.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

If I don't have any plants in my tank but i Have a small open ended cave, a gian t shell and a open ended clay pot it that ok for hiding places for they young, cause once they are in the community tank I will move them to my 2 gallon bowl for some time.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

In my experience if you have gravel at the bottom of your tank the fry will use that to hide in too. I've always found my guppy and platy fry inbetween the gravel.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

A few people told me about that but I did not believe what they had to say at first but now I think it might be true now. Thanks.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

IVe been down this path and i have learned alot. a important thing is that when the babies are dropped u wana do it in a graveless tank, then u can see which of them cant swim up and drag themselves arcross the bottom of the tank, if they are like that REMOVE THEM, and unfrotunately, destroy them :( . Aquarium Salt helps fight off infections and disease to the newborns so also add that to the graveless tank, i would recommend getting a seperate 10g as a drop tank. (with a box filter and no other fish in there) after the drop remove the mother because they tend to eat the babies.

I am currently myself trying to breed my swordtails (as my other pregnent one died). Most live bearers are pregnent for around 3-4 weeks, so in that period u wana move em into the drop tank. and slowly get the mother use to a bit of aquarium salt, so when u do the transfeer the change from pure freshwater to part salt water wont be shocking and stressfull. Consutl ur LFS on how much salt to add.

You probly wont be able to sell em for much because most sellers got their sources, but i would if i were u give the babys u aient gonna keep away to any good home. Its best to buy young fish for breeding because then they are more sexualy active. And definatly the female to male ratio.

And basicly do alot of research, alot of good sites out there.