1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

To board or not to board

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by footsie, Aug 7, 2004.

1. footsie

footsie New Member

I'm going to be out of town for about a week at the end of the month, and then again at the end of September (vacation :eek: then business trip :shock: ).

I'm having a real tough choice to board Footise or not.

I do have a good friend who has said that he'll stop by and play with and take care of Footsie every day. But I don't know if I really want to ask him to do that. I live clear across town from him, so this would take up a big chunk of his evening every day to drive out there, be there for a while and drive back. If it was just a day or two, then it would be OK, but this will be more like 7-10 days for each trip. Also, I don't like the thought of Footsie alone for 23 hours a day for 8 days. He's likely to dig up my houseplants or destroy my sofa. Also, my friend is a cat lover, but his cat is very old and ill (kidney failure, he goes into the vet for fluids twice a week and was given and expectation of 6 months to live about a year ago :m13: ). I know he likes to play with Footsie becuase he loves playful cats and his isn't too active these days, but if his cat dies in the next month or two, then I don't know that my friend will be ready to hang out with Footsie right away. Wow, that makes me sound selfish.

But boarding him is a scary thought too. Last time I boarded him was just for 3 days. He had a double "unit" but it was still so small. It was an OK experience but this is a lot longer. I'm going to spend Sunday visiting a couple boarders looking at their cat areas. I want somewhere where he can play and have human interaction :m35:. But an extra large unit might end up costing me a couple hundred dollers for so long. Also, for this vacation, we are driving cross-country with no plan. So, I don't know exactly when I'm returning. I'm not sure how a boarding place would react when I say I will pick him up sometime between the 3rd and 6th.

Any thoughts?

2. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

Well personally I dont like to board animals. I think you should just confine you kitty to a couple rooms in the house for the time your gone and ask someone to stay or stop by everyday. If not the friend that offered then maybe a neighbor-closer or a good friend. When I was at the vet the other day a lady dropped off her dog to be boarded for close to 15 days. At my vet they really dont have good boarding- the dog will just sit in a kennal all day-they dont even have a yard. They might let it out for a short time everyday in a little play area but I think the lady should have asked someone to house sit for her. Maybe you can have someone house sit/kitty sit while your gone? I would do it for a friend so maybe you can find someone? Good luck and let us know what happens

3. nern

nern New Member

It might be easier to make a decision after you visit a few boarding places. Maybe you will find one that you really like where Footsie will get lots of space and human interaction. If still are not comfortable with boarding him after visiting a few of these places then I would just have your friend come and take care of him...since they offered.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Maybe Footsie could stay with the friend that offered to check on him? I guess all cats are different. I know when Handsome was alive there was no way he would want to go to another home. I always had people staying at my house to take care of him. However, now that I have Romeo and Juliet, I know for a fact that they would love to go hang out at a new house. I'm sure you'll end up making the best decision regarding Footsie's well being. :D

5. vene

vene New Member

Do you have any reliable neighbors that can cat watch and housesit at the same time? I used to have friends that do that for an employer. It's obvious that Footsie'll be most comfy at home but may destroy things while you're away and you don't want to impose on your good friend. Well Chessmind has a sound idea about letting Footsie over your friend's house. Good luck with whatever you decide! :m33:

6. footsie

footsie New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Unfortunatly, if it was as simple as picking a friend or nieghbor I wouldn't be in this delema. While I've lived here for just over a year, I'm still new in town. I am friends with some of my coworkers but there are very few people who I am close enough to to ask this kind of favor of. (Hense the need for a 10 day cross country trip!)

I would love to just take footsie to my friend's house. But like I said, his cat is ill and doesn't need the stress of having another cat in the house. I have found one other person who could do it. She too would have to drive across town, so maybe they can take turns. If this is what happens I'll have to think of some fun suvenier to bring them from my trip.

I've made a list of places to call and visit tomorrow. Including one that has a website that looks really great, but they're closed on Wednesdays, so I have to find out if its just the office or if the whole place is closed.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

footsie...can you call your vet and see if any of the assistants do private cat sitting? i used to have a very trusted friend stay with otis...and she was great...left the house immaculate, etc. but when i went away for the weekend, i needed someone to stay with max that could give pills.

the assistant at my vet does private sitting, and she charges 15 dollars a day no matter if she comes twice a day...or stays. i gave her more, just because i thought that was really cheap.

around phx, there are professional cat and dog sitters that charge $50 a day to stay overnight in your home...so that was a screamin deal!!!

but you may try your vet...if one of their assistants doesnt do it...maybe they know of a trustworthy person who does....

good luck!!! footsie will miss his meowmy!!! :m10:

8. footsie

footsie New Member

I was recommended by my vet and buy a coworker to call one perticular kennel. They raved about how big the cat condos were and how the cats get play time in a large room with a window. I call and it was only $14/day. And then I found out that they're booked up through most of my vacation. :x

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:( does that place have a recommendation when they are booked? :m27:

10. footsie

footsie New Member

OK, I've narrowed down my choices.

I am leaning toward baording Footsie either at a local animal hospital or at the same boarding place I used one time before. The prices are about the same ($150-170) for 10 days. The vet's office has slightly smaller cages, but the cats have more interaction with the staff and the staff (I assume) is more ready to handle any thing that could come up. Also, the vet's office has AC and the other place keeps cats on the second floor with fans. My concern about the vet's office is that Footsie would be more likely to be around sick animals and I don't like the thought of him coming down with anything.

I really think I'd be more comfortable knowing that Footsie wasn't getting into mischief by himself for such a long period of time. If I had someone over to watch him that would be only for a short time each day.

Sorry for babbling on about this. Its on my mind a lot.

11. vene

vene New Member

Tough decision Footsie. There's no guarantee that Footsie won't catch anything at the boarding place either.

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

when you board at the animal hospital...arent the boarders in another room from the sick animals? and...even at another place...he could get a uri, because it is through the air isnt it? so...i dont know that it really makes a difference. at least at the vet....if anything is wrong, they are equipped to treat him immediately. :0011:

13. footsie

footsie New Member

Well, more frustration and I've changed my mind again! :x

When I called to make the reservation at the animal hospital they told me that they're office is closed on Sundays, and will be closed on Labor day too. So, I would have to leave Footsie with them until Tuesday! That means I'd be home for a day and a half while he sat in a cage. :cry: I made the reservation anyways, and was contemplating having my friend pick him up on Saturday and have him stay just one night alone.

I went back to the place I boarded him last summer. It turns out they do have AC afterall. And the cat condos are so much bigger... I've made a reservation. Foostie will spend 10 days here in a double condo.
    http://www.gomontage.com/

I already feel guilty for leaving him and its still more than a week away!

14. vene

vene New Member

It's a good decision Footsie. I think he'll remember the boarding place and know that it'll be temporary like the last time. AC is very good to have!

15. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I know you are having a hard time with this. He'll be okay. Where would you want to stay if you were Footsie?

16. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hang in there...he'll be okay. :wink: