1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

To Kennel or not to Kennel...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, Apr 3, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

OK, the other thread about Kennel Costs got me thinking...

Do you kennel your doggie or not?

My hubby is so against this b/c he is afraid they will get sick etc. I would prefer not to put them there also.. but, what are other options? (our families are not near us..).

Any thoughts?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Personally I don't kennel, I usually take Rocky with me on my trips. There's really only one kennel near me and I'm not really fond of it. Everytime my neighbor's have taken their dogs there they always come back with fleas.

If you're going on vacation you could take them with you, just call ahead and make sure the hotel you're staying at accepts dogs.

If your flying and want your dogs to be with you I think there are some airline that allow dogs in the cabin but I think you have to buy an extra seat or something.

3. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

My vet boards our dogs when necessary and we are very happy with them. Sometimes we take ours with us on trips but sometimes we can't. We went on a cruise and we had to board Banjo. The vet has a large field with a 9 foot fence around it and they take them out to run and play. They feed them and love on them and we have been very pleased. Of course, all places are different so you just have to go visit and check it out.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I personally don't like to kennel/board, so I just use our "dog-sitter." I personally know the lady who does it, and many others I know have used her and are exceptionally happy with her, so I think that definitely does help in easing some of the nerves about having to leave your pups in someone else's care.

ALL of the trips that I go on are not ones that I can/will be able to take Mickey & Tigger with. So, that is definitely not an option for me, but if it is for you, go for it! :D

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hmmm... I didn't even think of that. :roll: I know I've seen ads for petsitters here.. maybe once we get choose a vet he/she will have recommendations! It's a great idea!

So, she comes to your house and dogs sits there.. right?

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

She will either come to my home, or I can drop my dogs off at her home. She is willing to do it either way, and leaves it up to me to decide which way I would prefer. But, there may be a time where I call for sitting, and someone else may have called for that same day and is going to bring their pup(s) to her home, then of course I have no option but to drop them off at her home. I like either option personally, but the only advantage of bringing my guys over to her home is that they get the chance to play with her dog's as well...which they LOVE! I just love the fact of knowing that they won't be spending any time in a cage, for they have free run of her home and yard, and can basically do as they please! She is simply exceptional!:D :eek:

But like you said, make sure they person you hire comes highly recommended!!! :idea:

7. karma

karma New Member

We have a house and dog sitter who comes here to stay while we're gone. We love it!- Don't have to stop the mail, paper; don't have to worry about being burgled (well, burgling an empty house, anyway.) The best is that our dogs get to stay home.

If you're looking into this, you may find, as we did, that house-sitters don't always advertise- they often come through word of mouth. We found ours when I called a local real estate agent asking if they knew of anyone and one of the agents in the office happened to do house-sitting.

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

We got fortunate and know a 16yo that loves our dogs and he is very responsible. So when we went on vaction he came to our house and took care of them. Played with them a few times a day. The only payment he would take was gas money. This worked great for us and our animals were happy when we got home. We will deffinatley be calling him this summer.

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I just commented on the other thread on this also....

Luckily, I've never had to board my dog up (nor do I think I would). We're very lucky that we both have family in the area that we can take Bailey too. I've had a number of people at work offer (HECK!! THEY BEG) to take Bailey if we ever need a babysitter, so that option is there too. I think I would even prefer a house/dogsitting situation. I think that's an awesome idea.... especially if it's with a young (RESPONSIBLE) person who is great with the dog, and would love to have a place to themselves every once in awhile! I know I sure would have loved that at that age! hehe....

By the way, Babyshih..... if you don't mind me asking, can you tell us how much you pay your doggie sitter? I'm curious what the cost is, cuz it sounds like a great option also!!

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I don't mind you asking one bit...I pay her about $20/day (plus a tip), and let me tell you, it is worth every single penny! :idea:

Hope that answered your question! :D

11. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Wow, babyshih... that's a great rate!! That's actually cheaper than I expected -- especially with two dogs!! Good for you, you lucky dog. :idea: