1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

To Neuter or Not

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by lukiebo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. lukiebo

lukiebo New Member

I am an Activity Director in a Nursing Home. I have a 6 month old Pit who I am considering neutering due to advice from dog trainer. He is training to be a Therapy Dog and will be used for obedience comp. as well as agility comp. The trainer suggested that due to being around people so much, he should be neutered. My fear is that he won't develop properly, that he will stay with a puppy look instead of bulking. Anyone have any advice for me?????

2. goob

goob New Member

Genetics has far more to do with how a dog develops than any other factor, including neutering. Basically, if your dog is meant to be bulky, he will, if not, he won't. In addition, it can take up to 6 months for hormones to clear out of the system after a dog is spayed/neutered, so if he's neutered now, the hormones will still be in his body during the important developmental stages. Many times, neutering a male dog before they're mature will cut down on their level of dog aggression (though other factors still may have more impact, every little bit helps), which will also be a plus for you since you want to do therapy and obedience, and you don't want a dog who wants to eat other dogs. If you're not planning on breeding him (and that brings with it plenty more responsibilities), neutering him is probably the best option.