1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Toenail Cutting

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Sook, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Sook

Sook New Member

Right, well its a pritty simple question really :)..

Firstly, got the toenail-clippers because the dogs got large sharp claws, now on some of his toenails u can see where theres growing flesh inside it so thats a easy one to do, but as for black toenails with no chance of being able to see.? how do u aproach this, i mean they are too long and should be shortened, perhaps this is something for the vet to do incase blood is drawn.?? If blood is drawn what to do .?

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

with kuma i usually cut a tiny bit less off the black nails than i would the pink ones. just to be sure. if you make it bleed just wash it with salt water and bandage it up. carrying it to the car and rushing to the shops to buy chicken is also necessary! my partner accidently cut one of kumas nails too short so i made him do what i mentioned haha.

3. nern

nern New Member

4. Sook

Sook New Member

Very good site, and i did manage to cause one to bleed, nearly lost my arm, but thats the luck - hes got big paws and claws as it is... Ta for the sugguestions :) Of course he was spoilt rotten cause i hurt him, goes without saying...

New theory, if u can raise a PBT u can have children..! (providing the PBT's nice mannered and friendly)

5. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

One thing the vet suggested with Zena (who has all black toenails but 1) was to look on the underside of her toenails. You can see where the quick ends and the nail begins if you look on the underside. I don't quite clip all the way down to that point because there could be a little quick past that, but this has worked well as far as locating the quick!! Good luck!

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

For Harley I just feel her nail. You can feel at the tip where it becomes thinner, and that's where I clip to.