1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Toy Dogs - how long did it take you to house train them?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by casper, Oct 14, 2004.

1. casper

casper New Member

Hi everyone,

Just wonderin how long - on average - does it take someone to house train their toy dog?! My little guy still makes mistakes and I'm a bit frustrated. I would have thought he'd be able to learn after two months of training. :roll:

My big guy learned VERY quickly..................................*sigh*

2. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Small dogs have smaller bladders, therefore they can't hold it as long & need to go out several times per day.

I have heard that it takes toys dogs a bit longer to train but I believe that it's all in how you train them AND has to do with your dog.

How old is your dog? I have read that they don't have *full* bladder control until they are six months of age.

3. casper

casper New Member

he's four months right now.

thx

4. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

Molly took just over two months, and I just now feel as tho she has really got it.
    But sometimes she has to go often, like every half hour...and other times she'll wait hours. Guess it all depends on how much she's drank.
    But, she does go all night from around 9 to 6-7 Am without having to go.
    She is a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix, and weighs about 7 pounds, and is about 18 weeks old now..(she weighed three pounds when we got her).
    The last time she had an accident was a couple weeks ago when I was upset with my daughter over a bad school grade.....she went to the front door and peed on the rug. I think she was reacting to my anger, or maybe I didn't hear her when she was letting me know she had to go out.
    Don't give up, stay consistent, and he'll get it...I was starting to get frustrated too....but then suddenly it was like the whole idea dawned on her. :lol:

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

As PooGirl mentioned, it's HIGHLY dependent upon YOU...how much time and effort you put forth in housebreaking plays a major role in the amount of time it will take! However, each dog is different, and some dogs, no matter how much effort the owner puts forth, take a little longer than others to housebreak. (Smaller breed dogs are usually a little slower at the whole housebreaking process than big dogs, so not a good comparison.)

Keys:

- patience
    - persistence
    - positive attitude on your part
    - immediate (appropriate) correction
    - immediate rewards
    - time
    - consistency
    - thorough cleaning of indoor accidents

(No specific order, all those factors are equally important, IMO!)

Do a search here on Auspet about housebreaking, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful threads about it! :y_the_best:

Good luck! :D

(My two shih-poos took a good month to housebreak, but like I said, every dog is different, and some take longer than others!)

6. smokey

smokey New Member

small dogs can take longer because also their area is so big compared to them, that the instinct to not go where they live isn't as much as a deterrent to going inside.
    to them you home is like a football field and they can go and live somewhere else. so, confining the areas they are allowed in is really important, too.

7. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Starting at age of 10 weeks, Chobby was potty trained within 2 weeks. I personally think that our patience is the #1 key. My hubby and I were so cautious with Chobby's every move, both day and night. Chobby picked up the habbit fast and did it well even without any treat. I guess we were just lucky.