1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Toy / Food Sharing

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ILoveGreatDanes, May 1, 2004.

1. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

Training is definately not my subject at all. I admit I'm a bad dog trainer even! I have a smaller pup along with my great danes and i used to worry that he would feel edged out...but he pushes his way right up to the food bowls at dinner time and i give them each their own toys and treats etc so there shouldnt be a problem right? Wrong. Every now and then he will growl when he sticks his nose in the food bowl that someone else is eating out of. There is an empty (but full of the same food) bowl next to him but he will jump in with the big dog and growl. The big (dumb) dog will back off and sit and wait til hes done. This is the same with toys. Today I gave them a new chewy toy each and what does he do? Hes 1/10th the size of these guys and he starts chewing on one the big dog is chewing on and then gives a ferocious growl sound. The big dog stupidly backs off and lets him. I dont like him pushing my big guys around. He doesnt do it all the time but every now and then its just really rude! My other dogs dont care and they are all great friends but how do i correct this? Today I took ut away from him the second it happened and put him in a playpen by himself with his own toy that was already there. Is that the right thing to do?

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I think that's the absolute thing to do. A lot of people don't have the intuitive to do that. That's how food and toy agression begins. You have to set rules for your dogs just like kids, and keep reminding them what the rules are, or it's time out in the pen alone. Sounds like you have a spunky one on your hands. Gota love em!

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Sounds like your little one has taken over the alpha roll. No-one says you have to be big to have the alpha temperment. They say to feed the alpha dog first along with first greeting in the door. Things like that. That way he won't feel the need to overly show his dominance and possibly bit the biguns. The small ones can bite hard, I know. Basically make him feel important, pet him first then the others. Give him treats first etc. If not there could be more problems. Thats what I have been told. Dogs need to have a pecking order and no-one but them can say whom it will be.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Actually, I disagree. I think that's the absolute thing NOT to do.

I don't think you should try to stop him. Interfering with the pack order can cause all sorts of problems. Your little dog sounds like he is alpha and the big ones are fine with it. The little one growls and the big one backs off and waits, and then takes his turn. As long as the big ones are getting enough food, I don't see a problem. Everyone is acting appropriately. The growl is just a way to communicate. Interfering can CAUSE all the aggression issues you are trying to avoid.

Now, if the little one growled and the big one backed off and then the little one snapped at him and continued to carry on - THAT would be inappropriate. But the way you described it, the little one says, "Hey buddy. That's mine." And then the big one says, "Okay pal. I'll just wait right here so I can get it back when you are done." No problem.

It's best to reinforce the pack order, even if it is not as you would wish it to be. Feed the alpha first, pet him first, etc. We see it as unfair, but the dogs don't. They LIKE to have an order and know their place. As long as everyone gets their needs met, they are all happy.

If you do want to give something to the big one to have all to himself, then put the dogs in separate places (where they can't see each other) or wait until one is outside or on a walk or something. Then you can spoil the other dog without the first dog looking on.

Jamiya

5. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I understand what you're saying about the pack order. But as the pup gets older, what keeps the situation from escalateing into a possible battle over food, toys, beds, attention, etc? Right now the big dogs don't see the little one as much competition, they're probably still trying to figure out what he is. I've had a dog in the past with food and toy aggression. The dog was also aggressive in other animals coming near me. I had to separate them all the time because huge fights started. We had 5 dogs at the time. (Too many, never again!) I just have 2 now, and I started right away from when they were pups, to discourage aggressive behavior. They're grown now and live in total harmony. (It's Heaven!) They share everything. I'm like ILove in the fact that I'm no trainer. But having to break up dog fights and getting bit in the process, I decided to do things differently. It worked for me anyways, might not work for anyone else. Good luck with your brood whatever you decide.

6. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I feel both points are right. You need to let them establish pack order, but you're still at the top of the pack, so if you feel the need to step in, you are kind of confirming your alph status. Serene is definately alpha dog, but sometimes we feel she is over the top with correcting Jersey, and we step in. Serene drops her toy into her dish and eats around it so no one else can have either one. One day, Jersey got to close and ended up with a big scratch on her face. My husband felt Serene went too far, marched into their room and took her toy right out from under her nose and put it away for a while. Jersey still knew her place, and so did Serene! She wouldn't ever scratch a person for doing that, though, and I think if any food or toy aggression is directed at you, you definately DO need to correct her now. Best of luck!

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Yes some intervention should be made when dealing with people, definately. When she goes overboard I would make sure she knows that you don't agree with that behavior. After awhile all will fall into place.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Oh, definitely YOU are at the top of the pack. If the dogs get out of hand then definitely step in. But if it is all appropriate communication and responses, I would let it be. Perhaps I misinterpreted the first post, but it seemed to me that the biggest "problem" is that ILoveGreatDanes wanted his big boys to be alpha. You can't choose which dog is top dog - except for yourself, of course!

Jamiya

9. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

Very true Jamiya. Maybe the big dogs are fine with the little one being alpha. Also, sometimes my husband has to remind me that they are not actually human children, and the way Serene puts Jersey in her place is generally normal. It is definately hard to see Jersey hand over her new toy to Serene because Serene said so!! Then Jersey lies there looking sad watching her play until she is done with it, then Jersey gets it back! It seems mean, but as my husband has said many times, dogs are happier when they know their place, and Jersey just knows that Serene gets things first.

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Exactly! And since I have seen my dogs do the very same thing WHEN THERE IS AN IDENTICAL TOY LYING 3 FEET AWAY - well, you can't help but wonder what goes on in their heads. If I give two identical bones, they will focus on one bone. They will trade it back and forth - one dog chewing, the other looking on sadly. If the chewing dog looks away, the other dog grabs the bone and they switch places. The second bone sits untouched not 3 feet away....

Jamiya

11. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

My two dogs are the same way, also. Two chews, but both focus on one. But my point is this can be done without any aggression involved. Earlier on when they were pups, if they displayed any aggressive tendencies, I would correct it by removing the toy/chew bone, and let them know it did not please me. As they grew, pleasing me was more important than their things. I feel that if I chose to ignore it, they would be scrapping it up today.

12. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

At least they know I'm at the top of the pack. As soon as I raise my voice all commotion stops immediately....its just the occasional snippet from the little one. I'm going to continue taking the toy away and putting him in "isolation" (not his crate) while giving the other dog the toy and see how that goes. He doest do it all the time which is the problem so I cant see easily if hes improving.

13. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Good idea ,just continue to be the top pack leader and things should improve .