1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling to Canada w/pups?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, Aug 6, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Okay.. here's something that I just started thinking about and have started to do a bit of research on.

Have any of you traveled w/your dog to Canada?

Here's the deal:

Hubby & I are going to Canada for my cousin's wedding on 8/28. We refuse to kennel them while we're gone (which would be 2 nights, possibly only one if I change the reservations), which means they would stay in the kitchen and we'd have one of our friends come over to visit them etc.

Now, while I trust that our friend would do a GREAT job.. something bothers me about leaving our little ones penned in the kitchen for that length of time ~ not to mention I'd miss them terribly.

Option # 2: The hotel that we are staying at for the wedding accepts pets, as long as they are in crates. My cousin is getting married at the hotel we are staying at so we would be very close to the girls at all times.

I'm debating on whether we should just take them with us. I'd feel better of course because they'd be with us but then there's the task (which hopefully wouldn't be too difficult since we have all paperwork etc.) of getting through customs at the border.

Any thoughts?

In case any one else is interested, this is the web site for CDC (Center for Disease Control):

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

2. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

It sounds like it won't b too bad if Molly & Emma like the car ride. The farthest Trixie has ever gone is to Cape Cod, which is only like an hour and 45 min. ride so I haven't ever done anything like that b4 but it sounds fine. :? I'm sure other people will have more experiance traveling with pets and can tell u more.

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hi Trixie!

Where do you live? I'm originally from Boston so when you mentioned Cape Cod that got me curious.

We are in upstate NY so Tornoto, ON is about 3 hours from here.. not long at all. We are very lucky because Molly & Emma don't mind car rides at all. The longest they've been in a car is an hour and that was when we first got them at 8 1/2 weeks. I'm more concerned with getting them in & out of the country.. although, I'm sure it's pretty common. From what I've read, as long as we have their rabies paperwork we should be fine.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi there~

Unfortunately I can't help you out with your question regarding taking them over the border to Canada since I have no experience with that! However, I did want to say, if you can take them with you without a lot of hassles and problems, which it sounds like you can, then I'd definitely take them! :y_the_best:

Just my measly two cents! :D

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

HMMMMMMMM What an interesting question!!! I'd be interested to find out the answer also, poogirl.... not that I'm going across the border myself, I'm just curious.

You might want to post on the other message boards also... esp the dogs one here, and maltipoos' site. I bet they'll have some info too

6. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Thanks MyBaby & Monster!

I would LOVE to take them! I actually received an email from the hotel in Ontario yesterday and they said that they were a "pet friendly" hotel (I wanted to confirm even though I saw it on their site) and they also offered Pet Pampering Packages... oh boy! Mol & Em could be getting pampered while we're at the reception downstairs! :mrgreen:

I am really leaning towards taking them... I think it would be a lot of fun traveling with them!

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

How awesome...I'm sure Molly and Emma wouldn't mind that one bit!!! :lol: And I'm sure you husband is just lovin' the idea...hehe!!! :wink:

You'll have to let us know what you decide! :D

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Sounds to me like taking them is a great idea. BTW I am also going to a wedding on the 28th! Popular day I guess. Only I dont get to travel its just a few miles from my house :cry: Anyway have fun and I am sure the girls will love their pampering.

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Gosh, poogirl... it's a no-brainer! THOSE GIRLS ARE GOING WITH YA! :) hehe...

10. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Ya know, I think you're right! I just KNOW that I'll be worrying about them the 2 days we're gone if we don't take them.. and since the hotel is pet friendly, how can I not take them!! :mrgreen:

I've already started making the list.. it's so much fun: bring the girl's bears, balls, brush etc., etc., etc.!! :eek:
    [/b]

11. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

hehe...I know the feeling. I have to "pack a bag" for Bailey whenever he stays with my sister (when we go out of town). She thinks I'm a freak, cuz I pack EVERYTHING, including the vet's name/number and a "signed release".....lol

I'm still interested to hear how it goes crossing the border with the dogs! Did you ever get an answer to that?

12. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I haven't called them yet, but here's the info on their web site:

Dogs (Note: this section updated July 12, 2004)
    Pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry for evidence of infectious diseases that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian might be required. In addition, dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. Unvaccinated puppies younger than 4 months of age must be confined by the importer until at least 3 months of age, vaccinated against rabies, and confined for 30 additional days following vaccination. All dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination may be admitted providing the importer completes a confinement agreement (form CDC 75.37) ( PDF version formatted for print [76 KB/2 pages]). Such a dog must be kept in confinement during transit to, and be vaccinated within 4 days of arrival at, the U.S. destination and must remain in confinement for at least 30 days after the date of vaccination. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs. Unvaccinated dogs originating from or located for the previous 6 months or more in areas that are free of rabies are exempt from this requirement at the time of importation. Following entry into the United States, all dogs are subject to state and local vaccination requirements. All pet dogs arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements. Additional information can be found in the Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, which can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5309a1.htm

I'll find out this week what the deal is.. and, what kind of pet packages the hotel offers! :lol:

13. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

well those rules sound pretty reasonable.... can't take a sick dog...fair enough. You've got the vet records on the girls and you already have the crate for them. :)

Take some pee-pads for the hotel... and BOOGIE!

14. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

It's a GO, the girls are Canada bound baby!! :eek: :eek:

I'm SO excited and so glad that they'll be with us & I won't have to worry about them.

Just spoke with the hotel too... when we get there we'll get 2 packages for the girls, which includes a "heavenly pet bed", food/water bowls etc. This is going to be so much fun!

"Oooohhhh Canada...."!! :mrgreen:

15. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

OMG!! I looooooove that hotel now...hehe!! :) That sounds wonderful :)

16. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Sounds like you are headed to a great hotel...how exciting for you and the girls!!! :eek:

You'll have to give us a full 'trip report' when you get back! :y_the_best:

Have fun! :D

17. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

reply from Canada!

We will let the babies in, no problem. Has long as you have their health records up today and all their shots up to date!!!

I live just outside of Toronto, have a great time inour great city!

18. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hi Abbeys Mom!

Thanks for the reply! We are really looking forward to it and looking forward to taking the girls with us :eek: I even ordered an All in One travel bag from the Dr. Fosters & Smith web site! Gotta have cool stuff to carry my girls things in :mrgreen:

I've researched both the US Customs web site as well as the Canada Customs web site and they both pretty much say the same thing. I had heard that getting them into Canada wouldn't be a big deal but getting back into the US was what I really needed to understand. Looks like as long as we have their rabies certificates we are all set!

Hey, Toronto may have to make room for 4 more if they don't let us back in! :lol: Seriously, I love TO, it's a great city! My aunt & uncle live in Missisaugua (okay, I totally spelled that wrong!)

19. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Don't they have the neatest things!!! :eek: I'm always looking for an excuse to buy new things for Mickey & Tigger!!! :)

Sounds like you and the girls will be traveling in style! 8)

20. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

wow, poogirl.... that sounds toooo cool! Send us the link, just to show it off!

oh! and I expect to see pics of all of you on the plane!!! HEHE