1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Two cat, or not two cat: that is the question.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Bente, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

My brother and his girlfriend just broke up, and now they're asking if I want to adopt their kitten, wich they got only a week ago. It's previous owner says he is 12 weeks old, but i'm thinking he might be younger. It's a male kitten, long haired, orange and sooo adorable, but for some reason I hesitate to say yes...

I've never had two cats before (except for when I had a foster, and when I took care of a friends cat for a period), so I thought I'd ask you guys:
    what are the pro's and con's of having more than one cat in a household?

I don't think the extra cost will be a problem at the moment, both my bf and I make good money. But I'm thinking of going back to school in a year or two, and then I will have just half of the income I have now...

I also don't know how Kyrre will react to a newbie. He did pretty well with the foster and the other cat (no fighting), but he made no effort what so ever to bond with them. Maybe it'll be easier for him to bond when it's a kitten?

I really don't know what to do here... My heart is aching for this little kitten, and I know he'll probably be better off living with us, than with some random family who sees his add online. But then again I worry how Kyrre will take it, and that there might be long-term problems (economics, what if we have to move etc. etc.).

I'm thinking of taking him in for a period, while looking for a permanent home for him. But I have a feeling that once he gets his tail inside our house, it'll be forever :mrgreen:

Advice anybody?? :wink:

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

don't ask me - I have 4 and I foster :roll:
    best way is to keep them separated especially until you know the health status of the kitten, get her up to date on vaccines, make sure she's eating and using the litterbox fine. Then start a slow introduction.
    If you don't think a kitten would make him too nervous I say go for it.
    But then again - you never want to ask a multi-cat person their opinion on bringing in cat #2 :mrgreen:

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

My advice since I have Patches and I introduced Harley at 6 weeks old.... it took time but Patches did finally take to him. Now with Harley and Patches both adults I added Chopper 8 weeks old and again it took Patches awhile to bond and Harley took no time..... Sooooo it depends on the cat some take longer than others..... It has brought much joy and laughs to the household....... They give eachother company when your not there, they play with eachother..... I think taking it slow introducing them. Kyrre will do fine... Kittens are soo much fun So I say go for it the rest will work it's way out.

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Personally, I wish I had never gotten Artemis (that sounds harsh - I do love him). Moe has accepted him but definitely does not like him, and it's been 4 years! She would be much happier in a one-cat household. But, I have a friend that recently adopted a kitten when she already had a cat and they are best friends now. I think it totally depends on the two cats' personalities.

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I agree that it depends on the kitties' personalities.

I got Socks and Mittens when they were kittens and they are sisters. They get along well but do get jealous of each other at times and other times they will swat at each other. When we're not home, I do feel that they are company for each other.

When we've tried to introduce another into the household, Socks in particular rejected him and made his life miserable so we couldn't keep him. Mittens would have probably accepted him. It was an adult male, though.

You may have good luck since it is a kitten. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

6. vene

vene New Member

It all depends on the kitties' personalities. They are fine as solitary pets although some do bond nicely. Good luck whatever you decide on.

7. Bente

Bente New Member

We decided not to take the kitten... If we are to get another cat it should be because we really want one, and not an impulse act just because someone offers us a cute kitten :) So the kitten is living with my brother's ex at the moment, and hopefully she'll find him a good forever home soon.

8. vene

vene New Member

Good planning Bente. It's good to not be too impulsive unless you are ready to handle all the problems that can arise with the introduction of a new pet. Praying that the kitten will find a wonderful forever home.