1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Type of crate to use for shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by jcarilyn, Nov 9, 2005.

1. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

Do you think the type of crate makes a difference? We bought the plastic airline type crate, and we are having no luck at all with Baxter thinking this is a fun, safe den. Someone suggested a wire crate that is open, where he can see. Do you think this will help? We've only had him 4 days, and actually, he is doing really, really well with the elimination. It's just getting him to go in and stay in the crate that's a problem. I don't think I'm expecting too much for him to go in the crate, am I? Help!

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

With my Yorkie I've never had luck with the wire crates. He prefers that airline style.

When you put him in the crate do you put anything inthere with him?

When I was crate training Rocky my vet suggested putting him in for a few minutes a couple times a day with a stuffed kong. The kong distracts him from being in the crate and once he's quiet (no barking) he gets let out. The kong in the crate makes him associate the crate with good things.

3. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

We put 1 or 2 of his chew toys in there, one of our shirts for the smell (someone suggested this) and we bribe him with treats to go in, but it only works until the treats are gone, then the whining starts. It's so hard to listen to this little baby whine, it makes me want to whine too. We never get to the quiet part, he just continues to whine and bark. What's a Kong? I'll try anything at this point.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Kongs are toys for dogs.

[​IMG]

They're hollow in the middle so you can stuff them llike this:

[​IMG]

The dogs have to work to get the treats out and I've found that usually by the time they're done with the kong their time in the crate is done too.

5. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

What do you fill them with for 8 week old puppies? Just kibbble and peanut butter? Or is that not good for them. Thanks for the advice. I did buy one at lunchtime, just wasn't sure if they can have the same stuff in them or not.

6. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

Funny that you should ask that about the crate..... I have the plastic airline type that we had for our current dog, and am planning on using it for when we get our own little Baxter next month..... but, my friend who just got a shihtzu puppy (Milo, the adorable!) had no luck and switched to the wire crate. I suppose it just depends on your dog's comfort, huh? Some say that the plastic ones are better because they are closed-in and provide more of a "den"..... who knowsssssssssssss, huh? :)

7. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

He still doesn't like the crate, and only tolerates it during the day for short periods when we are home. He is doing much better in the wire crate at nighttime though, 6-8 hrs, so that means good sleep for me! I think it makes a difference, at least to him.

8. lil96

lil96 New Member

Luther prefered his wire crate to his plastic crate. When we used to have his wire one up he would always just go in and hang out, but he hates the plastic one and will run from it if we bring it in the room.
    But this all could be because he has flown more in the plastic one?
    I prefer the wire ones either way, I think they are just easier.