1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Undergravel Filters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by lilnjkid99, Jul 16, 2004.

1. lilnjkid99

lilnjkid99 New Member

Do Undergravel Filters really work i went to petco the other day they said they are a waste of money do they really work?

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i have heard so many things about them and i dnt really have an answer. One thing i dont get about them is how does it do a good cleaning if its under the gravel so most of the stuff would get stuck in the gravel and its impossible to get all the stuff out the gravel so wont it cause ammonia and other probolems?

3. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

well, i have one coz my boyfriend got it for me, it works with air pump not power head. the idea is that it blows the crap above the gravel and created good bacteria and it then nutralises the crap to be harmess or something like that .

BUT> if you reveal it, so the pebbles arent covering it, the good bacteria dies, and if you turn it off, the good bacteria dies, i also have a fluval one plus in mie to suck up the crap, but im not sore on its effectiveness, im not too impressed.

Ones with power heads are meant to be better.

4. 3_second_memory

well, i have one coz my boyfriend got it for me, it works with air pump not power head. the idea is that it blows the crap above the gravel and created good bacteria and it then nutralises the crap to be harmess or something like that .

BUT> if you reveal it, so the pebbles arent covering it, the good bacteria dies, and if you turn it off, the good bacteria dies, i also have a fluval one plus in mie to suck up the crap, but im not sore on its effectiveness, im not too impressed.

Ones with power heads are meant to be better.

5. OneWolvesDream

wahoo good enough to show my dad all the bad it does!

6. OneWolvesDream

7. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

what is one of the best power filters out there?

8. 3_second_memory

your welcome lauren. i have my uses.

Well, i have fluvals, which do the job, and my boyfriend has n elite and a huge other filter and a fluval, neither are amazing. i have a jewel filter attached to my jewel rekord aquarium, and it very good, i mean iv had no tank probs since iv had the tank.

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Personally, I like Cascade filters. I have 2 cansiters and 2 HOB's and never had any problems with them.

-Chelle