1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

unexplained fish loss help...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by HDrydr, Mar 15, 2008.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well I'm loosing fish and I'm not sure why. I have a 30 gal with Aferican Chiclids had 10 now 8 (they are small not full grown only inch long once bigger moving some.) I have had Chiclids for 15 years just started the tank again 5 months ago. I've tested the water and it is all normal. I don't over feed and only feed them every 3 days, and the strange thing is that they look fine and healthy. The tank is established so that's not it, I cleaned it about 3 weeks ago was going to clean it this weekend. No abnormal alge growth, temp is 76-78.
    Any Ideas? Would hate to keep loosing them since they are not excatly cheap ya know.

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well here is what I've done and so far so good.... Just in case the read only folks want to know. Can't believe no-one replies around here.
    Did another partial water change, put in another stronger air pump, have cut back again with the amount of food (wasn't overfeeding but worth a shot), gave them more hiding places just in case they didn't have enough places to hide. I continue to check the water and it all comes back normal to safe.

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I think that part of your problem has to do with overcrowding. Africans are very territorial and need much room. They sometimes will bully themselves to death. For ten, I think that a 50 gallon tank sounds a little better. Just keep an eye on them and give them plenty of places to hide. Each batch of cichlids can be very different, with a pecking order. It may be that your fish need to get used to each other. Then again, maybe this batch was weak from the fish shop to begin with. Let us know how it goes.

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

All is good no more fish loss and they are all getting along with their pecking order!!!! they look great and I change up the tank alot so that no-one gets too territorial....
    thanks!!