1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual Breed: The Texas Blue Lacy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I have lived in Texas for 20 years and have never heard about this breed. I read about it in a magazine yesterday and an internet search revealed several web sites. The breed is not recognized by the AKC but it does have quite an interesting history. Maybe Sam can tell us more about it as it is a herding cattle dog.
    [​IMG]
    The Texas Blue Lacy
    Description:
    The coat of the Blue Lacy is smooth, tight, sleek, exceptionally clean in appearance. The origin of the unusual slate blue coat and nose is a genetic rarity. All Lacy's have minimal to full white markings on their brisket and most of the time on paw or paws. The light gun-metal gray to almost black Lacy's are classified in color as blue. The red, yellow to cream Lacy's are classified in color as red. The tri-colored Lacy's are blue with red markings over their eyes, on muzzle, under tail, and down the legs. They are classified in color as tri. Both the red and tri-colored Lacy's hold the name Blue Lacy due to the blue-color gene they possess. All Blue Lacy's eyes are very bright and distinctive orange to yellow in color. Which adds a unique touch to their appearance.
    Temperament
    Lacy's are easy to handle, spectacular workers and pets that are great with children. This breed is very sensitive to yelling. It responds better to stern or soft commands. They are energetic and dedicated dogs, capable of handling the meanest longhorn cattle or most jittery of hens, taking the job instinctively, requiring no training. They are known to replace the work of a cowboy by five times. This breed is also used for hog hunting, finding wounded deer, and treeing game. Suitable for a watch dog and both herding and droving tasks.
    Height, Weight
    Height: 18-25 inches (46-64 cm.)
    Weight: 25-50 pounds (11-23 kg.)
    Health Problems
    None reported at this time. No hip problems and etc...
    Living Conditions
    They adapt well to any type of living conditions. They make good house dogs, but also love being out door dogs as well. Easy to train for house or outside.
    Exercise
    The Lacy needs lots of attention and exercise, as most of your working breeds do. They do not get hyper if they are not worked, but we suggest it because they were breed to be a working dog and we would like to see the dogs remain in the ranch and hunting industries to save the breed for the future.
    Life Expectancy
    About 16 years. There are 16 year old Lacy still working cattle and hunting.
    Grooming
    Short hair. Low maintenance.
    Origin
    Having nothing to do with the characteristics the dogs have, the name is that of the Lacy Family. Arriving from Kentucky by covered wagon in 1858 the "Lacy Brothers" (Frank, George, Ewin, and Harry Lacy) settled in the granite hills near Marble Falls, Texas. As true a pioneer as the men you see in history books, the Blue Lacy Game Dog has filled the needs of Colonial Americans for well over a century on ranches in the Southwestern US. When the three-wheeled horse hit the trail it brought this unique breed unsuccessfully close to extinction. While the need for its instinctive herding abilities were diminishing the need for its abilities to bay the fiercest of hog, pick up the trail of any game animal or find a wounded animal on the slightest of blood trails was on the rise in the commercial hunting industry. They are now the most common breed used by the United States Trappers. Blue Lacy owner's claim they are the perfect all-around dog, knowing where to be at just the right time. The Lacy family history notes the breed to be the result of Greyhound/ scenthound/ coyote cross with the emphasis on the herding/ droving characteristics. Many people have their theory on the scenthound used. Some believe it was a Red Bone Hound, or Italian Gray Hound, others believe it was a July Hound. What ever the Hound in the combination is the cross worked. The Lacy brothers established this breed under the guidelines it takes to develop a recognized breed.
    Group
    Herding

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I've heard of Blue Lacys but not a Texas Blue Lacy. I've never seen one in person either. Just read about them and seen photos.
    They look pretty neat to me though!

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wow! What a neat breed! I like the part about how they are not hyper in the house if they don't get enough exercise. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

The ears look more like a hound than a herding dog. How unusual!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

They look like a mix between a Coon dog and a heeler, with some terrier thrown in!

5. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

That's quite a mix. I love the part Coyote. Wonder if that was intentional or chance.

6. lil96

lil96 New Member

I like those dogs!