1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Update on Venus and Aragorn (also he lost his man hood lol)

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by CockatielCrazy87, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Well first off i will star off with a play by play on Venus and Aragorns training session.

Did pretty much the same morning routine as the last couple of days.

We worked with Aragorn first today with no join up needed because he was pretty willing to do everything we asked the day before. I lunged him a bit and side reined and he did seem to have a problem with it.We let him calm down a bit when James brought out this big feed sack. He told me it was the size and wieght of a western saddle and he used it for training all of the time.He had me to a quick join up with Aragorn because he was getting nervouse at the sight of the sack and then He had me hold Aragorn while he plopped the sack/ saddle on and off of Aragorns back 4 times and then fastened it on. Aragorn flicked his ears back for a few minutes and then James told me to have him walk. I don't know how longed i walked him for but it seemed like hours until I saw his nervouseness realease and his muscles relax . James then called me in and had me take of the feed sack and place the more uncomfortable ( at least for Aragorn) Western saddle on his back. It did'nt seem to phase him reallyand we lunged him once more then took of his bridle and saddle. James told me when Aragorn is healing from his being gelded then I should come in the ring spend some time with him lead him around a bit with the bridle and bit and put the feed sack on his back for at least and hour a day just to keep him up to date with everything. I would have never thought I would have this practically wild Mustang stallion tolerating a bridle, bit, and saddle after only a few days of training.

Anouther thing well Aragorn was take out to the vet this morning after a quick join up I got him to go into the trailer for me on his way to being gelded. In a way I hate to geld him because his is such a wonderful animal but in anouther way this may help his attitude a bit and settle him down ( but im not expecting him to lose all Stallion tendencies) I would just really like for him to be in the pasture with the other horses. Also Venus is after all carrying his foal , and anouther reason I should geld him is he's not mine forever if anyone has forgotten we're hoping to rehome him and venus when their both trained and Venus's baby is fully weaned ( the baby itself will not leave here until it is four). And I just think I could adopt him out better as a gelding then a unpredictable stallion. Anyways we dropped him off there this morning and im gonna go pick him up this evening.

Now for Venuses accomplishments here lately. Yesterday we worked with her just like Aragorn did the feed and sack and saddle routine and she took to it even better then Aragorn in some cases. Today however has been the most exciting for me and her. After a nice work out on every level other then we did'nt use a feed sack at all today we actually put her saddle on when we put her bit on right during our second lunge (usually we lunge her with a sack a third and a saddle a fourth time) and did nice and got all of her wound up energy out. Then We unhooked the lunge and James brought yet anouther surprise the Long Reining equipment he hooked each sperate rope to the bit on each side on her bridle brought them back over her like riens andand held them about 6 feet behind her and told me to take them and give her commands. By this time she had her ears back and was stamping her feet but James said no join up we nessecary.He told me to tap her rump with the acces reins to get her to go but say the commands also he told me to ask for no more then a trot. And so i stood behind her have her a tap and said Walk like I usually would. It took a few tries but she started to walk for me obviousely not enjoying that she could'nt look at was was controling her. He had to make her turn left and right with the reines and commands. He had me stop and start her and tighten up the reins until she mellowed out. He then had me tighten up the reins and get closer to her rump tap her and ask for a trot and she did one fine. Once again it took her a while to get used to it but by the end it was good.

James told me we would do our normal morning routine tomarow and then get to long rein get her to walk trot twice and then put the saddle on her and walk trot her twice or more and then thursday he said would be a full lesson of the reins and saddle work. He said he would'nt be surprised if we were starting to get her used to being mounted by Saterday!!!!!!! Seriousely who would have known this training would be so short. But like he said it will take Venus at least about 3 months to completely trust everything she has been taught and be a fully trained horse he's thinking Aragorn ake take more or less time he's not sure yet.

But yes thats my update for now. Ah now I have to go get ready to go get poor Aragorn and his lost man hood lol.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Love the updates!!!

I'm not having such success with my fellow.... WE got dumped yesterday...he needs to be ponied because he's very fearfull of people on horses and this has caused us to hit a serious stumbling block in our riding/training... I'll also be doing the reining work you mentioned (planned on it but now see how necessary it is from our issues yesterday) with him as well... He's not engaging his hind end so I'm having a REALLY hard time controlling him when he is having issues... AND he's not completely trusting of me yet to handle being ridden with the potentially carnivorous creatures out in the arena (horses being ridden by people...my god you would think they were slobbering and had teeth!)... So we'll work with him some, with the help of a girl out there who's done lots of resistence free stuff and I'm also going to do Monty Roberts style Join up with him for a few sessions... He has yet to yeild to me and I really think this is the root of ALL of our problems... So it'll be along session...no doubt he'll be somewhat traumatized at my pushing him away as severely as I'll have too...but by the end I have a feeling he'll be right in his mind and understand that I'm supposed to be his one and only and that it's okay that way...that I'm safe and would never ask him to do simething that would get him hurt!

Sooooo...that's our workout... I never doubted you'd get these guys straight...it is fast training but that's what happens when you are consistently working with them... ALSO if you relapse and quit working with them for awhile it's likely you'd have to start from scratch again... So...good luck and it'll be hard work for you once you're riding them... TWO green horses to ride every day is tough... Make sure though that once they get to where they're excepting it all well...they get one day off...to clear their heads... Jack, I think he's just needing some reassurance and a bit of a Pony session to learn people on horses won't eat him...LOL