1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

urgent cross post please read

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Rene, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi! Last night I saw that the Crawford County Humane Society has several dogs who need help before they are put to sleep on Saturday, June, 18! They are all larger dogs I think. I'm not computer savvy enough to put the shelter web address on here, but PLEASE go to a search engine and find them! It looks like they may be closed on Mondays, but I'm gonna call and find out! If one of you computer whizzes would put the web address on this thread, I'd really appreciate it! The shelter is in Robinson, IL and is not far from IN, or the ST. Louis area! I'll meet you halfway with one of the dogs if travel is a problem. Let's pull together and save some lives!

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action ... &preview=1

please help out if you are in the area

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

There are a lot of them and some are young! Can you try to do some legwork and look for local rescues that might be able to take some? I may be able to help with transport or something like that.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Okay, now I'm angry. Who the !^%!$#%^$ would turn in their dog to a KILL shelter?! For the love of god....

4. Rene

Rene New Member

i have crossposted this to every message board i can think of and also a few rescues that i know of i'm all the way in CA i did call the place and yes they are over crowed and they are going to PTS all the dogs it's so sad i'm very angry also one of them was turned in because they had her for a month and couldnt potty train her gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr some people i swear

i have contacted a few rescues so hopefully they can get them out of there

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I used petfinder to find some rescues local to that shelter and e-mailed them. I have yet to hear back.

That one they are calling a boxer pup has eyes that remind me of Bonnie's - just the look in them, I mean. I like the yellow "spaniel mix" and......well, all of them!

I would imagine most rescues and shelters are swamped there. All the rescues I found said they were serving areas with very high kill rates and animals are put to sleep every day. They just don't have enough foster homes to pull them all. They are all working on aggressive spay/neuter campaigns.

Also, if you cared to look (I would not), I'm sure you could find a ton of shelters between California and Illinois where animals are scheduled to be put down very soon. I keep an eye on our local kill shelters. Fortunately, most of them call various rescues if they have a dog they think can be placed in one. The rescue group I am going to start working with has several shelters they regularly walk through.

6. Rene

Rene New Member

I just became a member of the united yorkie rescue since then i'm going to start going to the pounds and shelters around me i have always avoided those places cuz i know i will cry and want them all and feel sick to my stomach. there arnt any shelters in my city but i'm moving next month to AZ so i'm sure i will find some there.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I have someone from lab rescue that can take Susie and Angel, but they won't let her pull them because she's not a 501(c)3. She has a waiting list for well-behaved (she'll take care of that part) yellow lab mixes. She also originally mentioned pulling Lars and Larry, too, but is tight on gas money (which I was going to send her).

So how do we get a 501(c)3 person to pull them??

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

what!! Jimiya, you have got to be kidding? they wont release because they dont have a non profit status? that is down right stupid. Can you you or they check the local rescues that have it and let them know they will take them but need help getting the release?

9. Rene

Rene New Member

OMG i cant beleive that i have no idea how to get what you are looking for geez

thanks for the hard work and sending someone there :love_y_t_much:

10. kismet

kismet New Member

I did a google search using " dog sanctuary-illinois" and came up with the following. It could be used for any adjoining states also. It may or may not be of help but there is sometimes an " underground railroad" of pet lovers who can arrange trnasportation across state lines:

Pet Shelters and Humane Society Page for Illinois
    Pig Pal Sanctuary Pig Pals Sanctuary is non profit and provides medical care,
    ... Pike County Illinois Animal Shelter Welcome to the Pike County Illinois ...
    www.shelters.theanimalnet.com/Illinoispets.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

Rolling Dog Ranch Animal Sanctuary
    When the shelter went to pick them up, the other dog ran off but Frasier was ...
    Just as he did when the Illinois shelter first went to pick him up as a ...
    www.rollingdogranch.org/animals/frasier.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Sanctuary Dogs
    But we also rescue dogs that no one wants, and they find sanctuary with our rescuers.
    ... Zorro lives with Paula Eacott in Illinois. Meet Buddy. ...
    www.almosthomerescue.org/ sanctuarydogs/sanctuarydogs.htm - 45k - 14 Jun 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Rescue
    Phone : +44 (0)1656 842292; The Pug and Pekingese Dog Sanctuary. Clive and Frances
    Miles ... + Illinois & Wisconsin & Kansas. Northern Illinois Pug Rescue ...
    www.pugman.com/Rescue.htm - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

The Senior Dogs Project
    "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog. ... The HART
    sanctuary can take in 50 dogs at a time, and has an 80% success rate in adopting ...
    www.srdogs.com/Pages/agencies.html - 101k - 13 Jun 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

PuppySites.Com - Dog Rescue / Dog Shelters
    Steve's Dog Shelter - A No-Kill, Non-Profit, Private Dog Shelter/Rescue Space
    Tikkun Farm Cat and Dog Sanctuary - Tikkun Farm rescues all breeds of dog and ...
    www.puppysites.com/rescue.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

310 Manually selected Dog Rescues and Shelter Resources
    Western Illinois Dog Foster Care North America Indiana - All Breed Rescue Alliance
    of South ... Senior Dog House and Rescue - Tail Wags Animal Sanctuary ...
    www.cbel.com/dog_rescues_and_shelters/ - 54k - Cached - Similar pages

Dog Rescue Links
    Illinois. Central ILGerman Shepherd Dog Rescue Finding loving homes for German
    Shepherd ... Frolic Farm Sanctuary Senior and Special Needs Companion Animals ...
    www.groomingschool.com/dog_rescue.htm - 98k - Cached - Similar pages

Donationware: pets in need, fellow mortals, farm sanctuary, art ...
    Mary Telfer Holden, gifts, worthy cause, dog bone, dog bones, wing, birds, ...
    50% of your purchase will be donated to--Farm Sanctuary, a national, ...
    holden.mary.home.att.net/store/donationware.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

Metro Animal - Dog and Cat Rescue
    Happy Tails Animal Sanctuary - 3818 Blue Cedar Lane, Columbia, MO 65203.
    573-445-1680. ... Heartland Humane Society - Home foster, dog and cat, adoptions. ...
    www.metroanimal.org/directory/dog_and_cat_rescue.shtml - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

I hear that for Petfinders- people travel 100 miles or more when they see a dog or cat they want. So it's a matter of getting the dogs some public attention. There have been people fighting over who was going to adopt a 17 year old cat given up by an elderly person - a cat considered unadoptable until the cat was shown on T>V>

11. Rene

Rene New Member

jamiya i would be willing to pay for gas also i know someone on another forum that just went and adopeted laya i dont understand why someone couldn't just go and adopt a few just to save them

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Probably because many people wouldn't have the money to pay the fees to adopt them.

I did notice that on the shelter's petfinder site, they say something about the dogs being adopted or released to "qualified" rescues. So apparently having a 501(c)3 status is part of what they consider qualified? They are probably trying to make sure they don't release dogs to some quack who is collecting them, or fighting them, or something like that. Puppy mills wouldn't want them since the shelter would spay/neuter first.

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Looks like Emma got adopted as well.

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Woohoo!! I just got an answer back from one of the rescues I e-mailed earlier this week. She said they are not too far from that shelter. She is calling them this morning to make arrangements. She thanked me for calling it to her attention.

I bet they will be flooded from now on with animals from this shelter. Maybe more of the rescues in that area can be brought together to help. I feel so much better now!

I'll let you know what happens.

15. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

I have room and i think im going to talk to some friends and contact the shelter. I might be able to take a couple back to PA with me I don't know its a possibility I have alot of empty space. I'll see what i can do.

16. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

I just put out a heads up that I am interested in Larry and Sarge.I have the car and the money and the time. I hope this will work out and i hope they will agree to a out of state adoption since they will be coming to my private rescue.

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How did it work out? Were you able to get some of them out?