1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

urinary infection

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by heaven, Aug 7, 2004.

1. heaven

heaven New Member

just brought my puppy to the vet because starting this morning she seems to be leaking urine....once in her sleep she peed all over herself and then i saw some drops coming out while she was walking...anyway, the vet says that it's most likely an infection and put her on antibiotic.....is there anything i can give her daily to keep her urinary track healthy....she gets a vitamin every morning but was wondering if any of you guys give your dogs anything else to keep them on track

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

cranberry supplements are good for urinary tract health...but when I asked my dog's holistic vet about this (Sadie is chronic) she said dogs don't react as well to cranberry supplements as cats do - some dogs do, some don't - but the only way to know is to give it a try

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

In the meantime to keep your home clean you can put doggie diapers on her. Use human sanitary napkins inserted.

4. heaven

heaven New Member

she's doing alot better thank god
    the vet said that she's not anatomically correct down there, that her vulva has extra flaps and that she was born that way...she said that because of that she isn't dry after she pees so that i have to wipe her with a babywipe afterwards to make sure she clean and dry...she also said that she has probably always been leaking a little her and there and i just never noticed...thinking back now i did see her leak afew times while she was sleeping but thought it was just because she is a puppy....anyway... i'm looking all this up on the internet to read about it and try to understand it but it really is so dam confusing...........i just want to make sure i do everything i can to keep her healthy

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I do believe there is corrective surgery for that.

6. heaven

heaven New Member

well her urine taste came back and there is no sign of an infection but i'm to keep her on the antibiotic becasuse there might possibly be an infection so deep that it's not showing up in the test.....which makes no dam sense to me..how do you have an infection but it doesn't show up?? the vet also said that she thinks it's a possibility that she might have an Ectopic Ureter... she's not leaking, she's peed in her sleep twice the past few days and after reading about the Ectopic Ureter i don't think she has that either because it says that they constantly leak with that and she's not constantly leaking....

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

could do a blood test to see what her white cell count is - too high and it indicates an infection. Would be a shame to have her on antibiotics and no infection cause they can leave them having a hard time getting antibiotics to work if they do have an infection.

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I think I've heard of infection happening in the fold of the misshaped uretha. Having the urine sit, sort of pool to long. There was a gal on the poo forum I go to with her poo having a malformed uretha.