1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

vaccines and weak immune system

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Jul 23, 2004.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

this made me think about Johnny black who just passed away after receiving a rabies vaccine.

I always hear dont get your pet vaccinated if it has a weak immune system or other ailments. Well what do you do when vaccines like rabies are required by law??

It puts the vet in a sticky situation right, if he is treating a sick dog and wont vaccinate. I mean, can he get into trouble if he doesnt?

honeybear

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Some states will waive the requirement if a vet says it is dangerous for the dog's health. If not, I don't know what you can do besides, 1) get the pet vaccinated and hope for the best, 2) don't get the pet vaccinated and hope the city doesn't notice, or 3) forge vaccination documents (and be prepared to face the consequences if you are discovered).

It's a very sticky situation. They would never legislate medical procedures that put the life of a human at risk. But hey, a dog's just a dog, right?

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Princess has been unable to get vaccinated or spayed because of her having a lowered immune system. So I am running into problems now with not being able to board her while we are on vacation. But not only that I was suppposed to have gotten a 1 year old male lab cross as foster a couple of weeks ago. But because one of the ladies with the rescue did not agree with Princess not being vaccinated or spayed she wouldnt allow me to foster the dog. And she has been very pushy about it.
    But the decision to not have Princess spayed or vaccinated was not only my decision but the vets as well. It's evident her immune system is not up to par. She was burned in February and it's nearly August now and she still has open wounds that have not healed.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My kennel person made a comment about how since I take my dogs to the Bark Park where shelter dogs are taken out to play, I should definitely get their booster shots. I wanted to ask her if she personally got a shot for measles this year, and if not why isn't she worried about getting measles?

Puppy shots aside, YEARLY BOOSTERS ARE NOT NECESSARY.

Puppy shots and possibly boosters at one year are PLENTY for the life of the dog. Either the dog is immune at that point or never will be. Chances are by then if the shot has not conferred immunity, immunity has been acquired through exposure to the disease (even if the dog did not get the disease).

Annual boosters were began as a ploy to get people to bring their dogs in for an exam every year. Now people are brainwashed to think dogs need them.

WHY do PEOPLE not get shots every year? Hmmmm? Why? Is your child going to get measles or mumps if they were not vaccinated this year?

What makes people think a dog's immune system works so very differently than a human's so that they need a shot EVERY YEAR?

I get so tired of people basing their lives on fear. Get the puppy shots. Get boosters at a year if you feel you must. Comply with the rabies law if you feel you must. Nothing else is necessary.

My kennel person won't accept the dogs without being up-to-date either. But she has never actually asked to see my papers. As of right now, my dogs are current. After their vaccinations expire, I think I will just keep it quiet.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

gina, can you board the other dogs and find a sitter to come in for Princess??

Some rescuers just go too far into their requirments. I remember when I adopted Midas my cat. The woman didnt want me to have him because I worked. She said he needed attention 9 hours a day. Give me a break!

honeybear

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ohplease!!! What friggin planets do these morons come from???

Ugh.... I wouldn't turn down an animal for anything! Yes I could see if the animal is in perfect condition and hasn't had a shot it whole life, and has recently been exposed, but thats why there's a thing called Quarentine! DUH!!!

Ugh, some people...

7. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Princess is going to stay with a friend from the Ky Pit Bull Rescue she's the lady who originally helped me with transporting Princess. So I know she will be in good hands.
    Some rescues are ridiculous with their rules. I understand they have put so much time and effort into the dogs so they want to make sure they get the best care possible. But come on? When it comes down to a dog being PTS or going to a foster home with an unaltered dog I think I would choose option number two!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Especially an unaltered female. It's not like she can impregnate someone. :)