1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

very worried doggy Mommy here!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by mamabear_34, Sep 15, 2004.

1. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Ok I am in need of some help again. Buffy has seemed kinda quiet today but it has been really hot here so I didnt think anything of it. She has been eating well today and drinking well too (in fact she is eating up right now). The problem is that she threw up tonight at the store just a little bit but when we left (of course this is after the vet is closed for the night) I took her out potty and she pooped regular then she tried again and she pooped really mucusy and stringy stuff and it looked like it had blood in it. She hasnt been eating any differently and I have never seen this happen before. We have been battling fleas here so could it be a worm causing this? I plan on watching her close tonight and taking her to the vet in the morning. I would appreciate any advice any of you may have!!!
    Oh yeah, she IS up to date on all of her vaccinations and is playing normanlly with Buddy tonight.

2. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

I am not the expert here but what you describe (the stringy stuff) sounds like worms to me. Is she on Heartguard? I believe it protects against most worms but I'm not sure. I hope she is feeling better.

3. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Yes she and Buddy are on Heartworm medication. Does this also help prevent other worms, such as tape and hookworms? Like I said I am off to the vet in the morning. And the stringy stuff looked like fiber?!?!

4. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

I just took my puppy to the vet today so I will quote what the package insert says about Heartguard.

Given once a month Heartguard plus is the best way to prevent heartworms. Heartguard Plus is also effective in the treatment and control of roundworms and hookworms that may pose a threat of zoonosis to families with untreated dogs. Zoonosis is any disease or infection that is transmitted from animals to humans. With Heartguard plus, you will be treating your dog for these parisites and may reduce the risk of zoonosis to your family.

So your probably pretty safe that it's not roundworms or hookworms if it is Heartguard your using. As far as tape worms go. They are long and flat like a shoe string and not stringy in apperance.

Try not to worry. As long as she seems okay tonight I am sure she will be fine and the vet can help figure it out tomorrow. Keep us posted.

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

did you find out what it is??? It is already noon for me! So was it worms? Or some sort of infection?

6. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Buffy is doing well today. Sorry I didnt post sooner but here at our store Wednesday is our busiest day of the week. Since she is doing so well and only had the one ephisode (with her poop back to normal today) I am going to talk with her vet when he comes in today to pick up his books. I did check her worm medicine and it is Heartgard so I am not worried about worms. Maybe she just ate something that caused problems? I will let you all know for sure when I talk to her vet.

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Some times dogs just vomit to expell toxins and thing in their stomaches that don't belong there. He also could have drank or ate just a little too fast, or ate something bad. Grass is also a theory.

8. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

thank you everyone for your support! I talked with my vet and he said that since it was an isolated incident and happened only once it was probably the rawhide bone I had given her that didnt digest well. Soooooo no more rawhide bones for her!! I appreciate everyones concern here so very much!!

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

oh yea could be. good luck!