1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

water fountains

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Apr 17, 2004.

1. vene

vene New Member

Do anyone of you use water fountains for your furbabies? Do they like them? Does it keep them from going into sinks? What brands do you use and how long do they last? For households with mutiple kitties, how often do you have to change the water filter? Thanks in advance!

2. moose

moose New Member

i have one of the petmate fountains and my kitties LOVE it! they have other regular water dishes, but i think they only drink from the fountain. i have 3 cats and i wish i had gotten the drinkwell brand fountain, as i believe it has a bigger water reservoir than the one i have -- i refill the reservoir every night and it is always almost completely empty. as far as the filters, they're not too expensive and i change mine every month and a half or so. i also clean the entire unit every week (and it's very easy to do so). they're more work than a regular water dish, but my cats love them so how can i resist?!

3. dolly

dolly New Member

I bought my kitties a Petmate (?) when Oliver started drinking out of the toilet :shock: . They absolutely love it and I ended up getting a second one, the larger one meant for dogs but with 3 cats they empty it out pretty fast. They like to drink the water as it comes down the chute. I take the whole thing apart and clean it with soap and water (but not the filter) weekly. :mrgreen:

4. vene

vene New Member

Thanks guys. I just bought a new Drinkwell fountain. I hope my kitties like them. :|

5. nern

nern New Member

I bought a cheaper version of the Drinkwell fountain but it broke. My cats seemed to play in it more than they drank out of it but did seem to enjoy it while it lasted.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Vene how are your cats liking the new fountain?

7. vene

vene New Member

Chessmind, I'll let you know as soon as the fountain arrives. I purchased it from ebay and it'll be a week or so before the kitties get to try it.

8. vene

vene New Member

The drinkwell fountain arrived yesterday. Vene loves it. She's actually not going in the sink anymore. However, my other 3 furbabies are afraid of it. Thanks again everyone for your inputs!

9. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. That is great news! :eek: I'm sure your other cats will get used to the new drinking fountain and start drinking out of it. I'm glad you were able to make on of your cats happy. :mrgreen:

10. vene

vene New Member

Yep. Besides Rene, Milo and Pumpkin are drinking out of the fountain. I have yet to see Monty Boy tryin it out. I still keep the old water bowls available in case they didn't like the new one. Thank you Chessmind! :lol:

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

just wanted to mention on the water fountains is to be sure to check the water frequently....another cat board I belong to someone there noticed her cats getting ill and she checked the water fountion and the water had grown algae. She's not sure what happened since the water was moving but her cats got pretty ill from drinking the nasty water.

12. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

You're suppose to change the filter and the water and clean the fountain after such and such amount of time (depends on the brand). I would change the water and scrub the fountain once a week and then change the filter when you're suppose to.

13. vene

vene New Member

Thanks Mary. I change the water 1X- 2x day and will clean the unit 1X week and replace the filter every 6-8 weeks. I haven't seen any algae yet.