1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Wednesday Breed Of The Day

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Jun 16, 2004.

1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Ibizan Hound
    Other Names: Podenco Ibicenco, Ca Eibisenc, Balaeric Dog
    [​IMG]
    Height: 22.5 - 27.5 inches
    Weight: 42 - 55 lbs.

Colors: Solid white, chestnut or lion, or any combination of these.
    Coat: Smooth or rough; always hard, close and dense.

Temperament: Ibizan Hounds are alert, adaptable
    With Children: Yes
    With Pets: True to a hound nature they need to learn to respect small animals and cats.
    Special Skills: Hunting dog and family pet.

Watch-dog: High
    Guard-dog: Low

Care and Training: Minimal grooming of the Ibizan Hounds coat is necessary. A light brushing, good massage or rub down with a damp soft cloth is all that is needed for coat care. Clean and check ears regularly. Trim nails. Exercise of Ibizan Hounds should consist of frequent long walks on a leash. Handle puppies from an early age for proper socialization. Also obedience training should begin early on.
    Learning Rate: High. Train in small steps, overbearing training methods will only panic them.

Activity: Moderate
    Living Environment: Apartment or house will do if they receive daily exercise. They do not kennel well, prefers a non-hectic environment, should be kept out of drafts and enjoys the comforts of a soft bed.

Health Issues: Sensitive to insecticides, false pregnancies are common.

Life Span: 10 - 12 Years
    Litter Size: 6 - 12

Country of Origin: Spain
    History:Their origins trace back to the time of the Pharaohs in 3400 B.C. when they were used a a hunting dog. Egyptologists have identify the Ibizan Hound as the dog depicted on artifacts that have been discovered in the tombs of the Pharaohs. The Ibizan and Pharaoh Hound are believed to be the same breed. It is said that the Ibizan was brought from Egypt to Ibiza by the Phoenician traders. In 1956 Colonel and Mrs. Seoane of Rhode Island brought the first Ibizan Hounds to the United States. It was from this pair that the first American litter was born.

First Registered by the AKC: 1978
    AKC Group: Hound
    Class: Hound
    Registries: AKC, ANKC, CKC, FCI (Group 5), KC (GB), UKC

[​IMG]

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Now thats an intresting looking dog! Great BOD!!!!! (Breed of the day!)

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I just read about that dog yesterday on accident and thought it was so cool! Great pick. Beautiful and interesting.

4. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

what a beautiful dog, my friend just got a rat terrior and their faces resemble allot, same ears too he is way smaller though......I have to say I have never seen allot of the dogs you post are they all rare breeds that you post or just informing us on the uncommon? Anyhow very informative good job........ :y_the_best:

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

papillon/mom- a few are rare breeds but most are not. We do it to educate each other. Fun isn't it! :)

6. Sara

Sara New Member

I'm a rare breed nut... Lots of mine are rare breeds... There are sooo many out there...

I like to research breeds I don't know about and post that here...most of the breeds I'm still learning about are Rare breeds... So I think that's why it seems most are rare...I'm sure other folks are in the same mode.

I have a breed in mind...it's not rare but not many folks actually KNOW much about it... It's very common... :wink:

So who you gonna tag for tomarrow? :mrgreen:

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Great breed! Quite beautiful.

Papilon: I don't know about others, but I just switch up the breeds. Some do breeds that they have owned, others pick a wierd looking one a do that. There are a lot of weird looking dogs out there!
    I thought it was a good idea because people are always joining and asking what breed is good for them. This kindsa gives them an opportunity to look at breeds they may not haveknown about to see if its a good fit.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I generally don't have time to read them all, but I like to look at the pictures and skim through the temperament stuff. :)

Jamiya

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

this ine came in 2nd at westminster, her name was bunny because she had a brown marking on her back just like the playboy bunny logo. interesting dog

honeyber