1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Well after several weeks of antibiotics diagnosis is in....

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by HDrydr, Dec 31, 2010.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well about a month ago Chopper and Harley got into one of their little play fights....and Chopper got a bite wound on his lower lip... after several days it was not healing right so....An appointment was made because it looked like it was getting infected. Antibiotics were started and a skin scrape to make sure he didn't have ringworm again...and after another 2 1/2 weeks of meds we went back in because it cleared up on his lower lip but now moved to his upper lip and looks swollen and red.

Vet appointment this morning and her suspicions of what it was...was cleared up by a skin scrape- first off no ringworm yea!!! My vet is very prone to getting ringworm if an animal comes in with it and she never called me saying she had it....She told me "well no ringworm" and I said "Yea I kinda figured that since you didn't call me and say that you had it" :lol: We have a good relationship and I see her alot with Buster's health condition...

After the scrape it came back with Eosinophilic granuloma complex.... Auto immune disease...hummmm she is not sure if it was triggered by the bite and his body didn't stop having the inflammatory response from healing...Or he is allergic to the food they are eating and it got in his wound being that it was on his chin lip area and triggered it....

So treatment..... All food has been changed for a food trial for allergies...A task in it's self since I have 3 cats and they are somewhat particular about what they eat 2 different foods are offered..... sigh.... So far they all have eaten some so hope we are in the clear on that one... I'm sure a mild GI upset will happen but she didn't want me to wean them.... Now for the meds: he is now on a tapper of steroids to get the inflammation to stop he'll be on it for a month.. Hopes are that between the food and the meds it will clear and he won't need anything after that, or he may have to have a maintenance dose. Then once it goes away I can either keep on the food or trial going back on their old food and if it comes back we know food is an issue...

Ya know if it's not one thing it's another.... :mrgreen: Kinda funny if ya think about it.... I have several Auto immune diseases primarily RA so why not my cat too :? Buster is on steroids, I take steroids and now Chopper sigh.... Oh well if that's what has to happen so be it... Watch yourself around here lots of steroids going around hehe we will all be pumped up....

2. vene

vene New Member

Big hugs to all of you. Hoping 2011 will be a healthier year for all.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

hoping your New Year goes better

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well the good news is even after only 3 doses of steroids Chopper's inflammation has gone down and is not as red!!! Yea!!! I hope that once after the month of meds I can keep him off of them...really don't want to do another long term steroid use animal...Buster is enough and had a scare when he got cushings from it...Now he's all good..

5. Pink-Moonlight

Pink-Moonlight New Member

Hope Chopper is feeling better :)

My one cat, Tippo, likes to start fights with my other cat, Figit. So we have to keep them separated. Figit has been into the vet several times with bites from Tippo. Just had that happen again a few weeks back. Tippo managed to get the door open and sneak into the room where Figit was sleep at like 5am. But we took him in the same day, so he is ok now.

I hear what your saying about sharing medical issues with you pets. Figit and I have the same thing. Last time he got really sick, I ended up sick with the flu less than a week later. It's like we get so close to our pets that we start to become one and the same with them XD Weird how that happens.

I had a dog that had ringworm years ago. That is not fun stuff to deal with at all.

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Oh man when Chopper got ringworm he got it BAD!!! it took 4 months to clear it up!! the spot on his right shoulder was a bit bigger than a softball, he also got it on his left front leg...poor thing!! I'm just glad that we didn't get it and the 2 other cats one was a kitten at the time and the dog didn't get it....

7. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I hope this year will bring better health to all of our kitties and to us, too. Hugs to all. :)

8. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I'm with you on that one Sunset!!