1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what a heartbreaking day

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

today was my first bonafide rescue.....
    our insurance agent's mother came running into the office holding a very small gray kitten. The kitten was about 3 weeks old. She'd gone to a local farm to buy fresh produce and saw this kitten staggering around. She asked about the kitten and was told that someone had brought them 2 kittens, in a box, that they had been told lived at a farm where the farm owner had shot the mother cat and left these 2 kittens to fend for themselves. The other kitten looked fine - bigger and more active. This little one could barely stand up. The first person she thought of was me.
    I knew the kitten was in trouble so ran to the store and got some evaporated milk and wet cat food (food/fluid first). Brought that back to the office and ran home for kitten shampoo (covered with fleas).
    While I was gone Chad (should never name them) was eating the wet food watered down with the watered-down evaporated milk. He was in the dish he was so hungry.
    He did perk up some so I gave him a quick bath. Oh if you'd seen that water. It was then that we noticed the maggots on his backside.
    I took control of getting him to the vet cause I can make that decision if necessary. I know they can't all be saved.
    So off to the vet with little Chad wrapped up in a towel. He slept a nice comforting sleep all the way down. He was in a warm towel, in warm caring arms and he was relaxing - perhaps for the first time ever.
    Little Chad is now at Rainbow Bridge. He rectum was crawling with maggots, he had a cut on his lip that had ulcerated and quite possible the infection had gone into the bone. Vet said it had to be very painful. No way of determining how much internal damage the maggots had caused but it was very disgusting.
    I did call the girls at the office to let them have some decision making for what to do with Chad but I strongly told them that the problems might not end there and it wouldn't be fair to our existing pet to try to bring Chad home in an attempt to bring him to health.
    Chad had 2 hours of kindness and caring in his short little life.
    Please help sing him to the Bridge. A tiny long-haired gray kitten whose only crime was to be born to a poor cat nobody cared about.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Big hugs to you for all you did for little Chad.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Awww Mary we need more people like you in this world..... we all care soo deeply for the fur babies in this world. Bug hugs to all that you did for this poor little guy.... At least Chad had a few hours of someone caring for him and wishing the best for him.... That should be comforting knowing that you did the best you could do.

HUGS

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Mary that is just such a terrible shocking sad story, my eyes filled up with tears :cry: :cry: Im so happy there is people like yourself in this horrible world at times, and thank god at least he had his last few hours with someone with so much love as you, and i bet he knew it too..Your a credit to the poor animals that have no voice.. (((((((BIG HUGS)))))) to you, and blessing all the way for Chad..

5. vene

vene New Member

Sending many hugs and prayers.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

That was so sad. :cry: Poor little guy and his poor Mom. Any chance the SPCA was contacted to let them know that other farmer shot the Mom cat? He should go to jail for this. Animals do have some rights these days and what he did was terrible. Thank you for being there for chad. At least he's no longer suffering. So sad. :cry:

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

i don't know where this all happened. And I did email the shelter director the story and she never responded. Chances of anyone ever coming forward to get involved is slim to nothing. And trying to get a farmer to admit to shooting a cat ain't gonna happen. He's probably done it several times. Don't get the cat(s) fixed....shoot it and its offspring instead.
    Arseholes

8. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

That is so sad, Mary. I'm so sorry. Poor little kitten.