1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What can I do??

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by fawnbrindle, Apr 13, 2004.

1. fawnbrindle

fawnbrindle New Member

Today I'm writing because I am worried about how I'm going to fend off the nay-sayers and at the same time take up for my P.B. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was in the hair salon & I mentioned that I was getting an APBT. So you can imagine that ALL HELL broke loose!

"Why do u want that kind of dog?"

"Did u hear about...?"

"Do u know that they...?"

"What are u going to do when...?"

"What are u going to do if...?"

"I don't like those dogs!"

"I'm scared of those dogs!"

This entire episode [LANGUAGE EDIT] ***** me ******! Firstly, I'm not a flighty person. If I've made a decision to do anything, that decision has been carefully thought out and researched. With that said and being that I've been going to this salon for 7 years, my character should be well known. Secondly, well forget "secondly", I was and still am irritated. Of course I voiced my case & tried to educate the ignorant, but as many of u already know...to no avail.

My question is this, I'll be going back to get my hair done soon and I'm sure this topic will come up (and I'm sure this topic will continue to come up w/various individuals as long as I own my APBT), how do I get the point across that I'm not trying to hear this negative garbage without having to be nasty?

Maybe there is no way, but I figured I'd ask. Remember I've tried to be reasonable and educate. Perhaps this is all I can continue to do. I'd really appreciate any commentary:)

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Be honest as to why you have chosen the APBT. If you know what breed they have ask them why they want that kind of dog.

Thats tricky it depends on what they say. The kid who was attacked, yes I heard about it, No I didn't and don't care to.

That they what? You can always prove them wrong if its a myth, so many people are just mindless lumps who will belive anything with thinking about it. You can make them feel really silly and see how crazy an idea really is.

When they what?

Tell the truth IF they did such n such. You can tell them its not likely to happen but IF then say what you'd do. Then ask what they'd do IF their dog did whatever it is?

That the beauty of having so many different breeds, we aren't all going to like the same now are we? I'm glad you shared your opinion with me, however I find it kind of rude! Would you like me to blurt out I dislike your breed of dog?!

Why is that? How many have you met to be so scared of one breed of dog? They aren't really that scarey, sure some look a little intimidating but thats because they have such a strong build, but thats just looks. They can't help it and don't know what they look like.

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

True_Pits pretty much said it all. We can all get heated when this crap comes up and all you really want to do is tell them to piss off!
    Unfortuantely we can't. We have to be an advocate for the breed as much as the owner. Owners of this breed get a pretty bad rap too, so while you let them know your thoughts, make sure you stay calm and collected. If however, things become to heated for you (say at the salon) let them know that such ignorant people are not worthy of your time or knowledge and if the spanish inqusition does not cease, you will have no choice but to find a new salon. whether or not you follw up with this, I am sure it will shut them up.

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

If it's someone you don't know asking "Why", "How", "What If," etc, I just say,"I didn't want a She-She Poo-Poo,ankle biting, yappy, shaking, bug-eyed, spastic,neurotic basket-case dog to carry around in a dog pouch around my neck. When people come and actually see your Pit, there's no need for words, the Pit usually makes a statement of their own with their own impressiveness.

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I would simply say that you dont have to explain your self to them and this is the dog you have chosen b/c it is a very loving breed contrary to what many people may say about them. I learned along time ago that no matter how much explaining you do with people, (in any case not just talking about pit bulls) they will still not listen or come up with more. So I would just point blank tell them this is the choice you have made or something to that effect. You dont have to explain yourself to anyone in what ever decisions you make in life. I understand your want to educate people but when they dont want to be educated there is not much anyone can do. If someone is receptive to what you are telling them then by all means let them know the facts about the breed.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

I would explain myself if you want to be a good ambassador for the breed. In fact I'd take the puppy in with you to the hair salon... I'd take it with you every time you go...they can watch it grow and see that the myths are just that...myths.

I took my female APBT to obedience classes and the whole class looked at me with disgust... One woman did not and she finally asked what kind of dog she was... I told her and she said... "wow, that dog is more docile than that lab over there." The OB instructor helped out too because HJ was her favorite student. By the end of the class the people in it were beginning to understand that APBT's aren't devil dogs.

I've also had GREAT responses to the "why would you want that kind of dog?" I tell them why... because they are loyal, friendly, independent, all kinds of things... Usually my response generates more questions (how so??? What do you mean etc...) and I'm honest about things. I tell them why the dog is less likely to bite in ANY given situation (dog fighting). I tell them that they are good babysitters...that Petey was an APBT, that BUster Brown was an APBT, that Hellen Keller had APBT's and on and on and on... usually they leave me with more questions for the media than they have for me.

The news bit??? Well I get that alot and usually I ask... Are you sure it was an APBT? Lots of times they can't be certain what kind of dog it was... If the dog is big I specify that most of the time APBT's are between 40-60lbs... I also specify that if the article is printed the fact that they can't make it an American Pit Bull Terrier in caps and have to specify that it was a pit bull in lower case letters means that they really don't know what kind of dog it is...but that it's a Pit Bull TYPE dog... then I name some dogs that are pit bull "type" (AB, Boxer, Staffy bull, Bull terrier etc...)

Usually if I keep my head about me and don't act like a nerd (My dog is better than yours) I get my point accrossed.

Meeting the dog though...that's the BEST way to get your point accrossed.

My mom has never learned to trust my APBT's...no matter what...so not everyone can be taught etc...