1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what does a heart worm look like?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by meghan_m_25, Sep 9, 2005.

1. meghan_m_25

meghan_m_25 New Member

my puppy threw up last night on my bed but i didn't notice till this morning. a found a worm about an inch long and it looked like a coilled up rubber band. it wasn't where she threw up though. could it just be something she ate??? shes been dewormed before and is due by September 15

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

It sounds like roundworm, call your vet and see if she can be dewormed again before the 15th. Also it would help if you could take in a fresh stool sample so they can look at it under a microscope and see if there are any other parasites in there. Some dewormes only kill specific parasites, not all of them.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Common puppy worms are easily eliminated with treatment. Heartworms can only be detected through a blood test that is required before you begin a monthly heartworm preventative treatment.

4. meghan_m_25

meghan_m_25 New Member

She's not eating again and i can hear her tummy.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Please call your vet. She needs treatment.

6. nern

nern New Member

My kitten had roundworms (sounds like what you describe) that he threw up....he was dewormed 3x before they were finally gone.

7. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Heartworms actually do look a lot like roundworms. But they reside in the heart and related vessels, not the stomach. It isn't likely a dog would vomit one up. It also takes several months from the time a dog is bitten by an infected mosquito before the larvae develop into adult worms. Depending on the age of your puppy, it may be too young to have adult heartworms.

One word of caution, seeing as you allow your puppy to sleep in your bed. It is possible for humans to contract roundworms. So see your vet and get them taken care of.

8. meghan_m_25

meghan_m_25 New Member

She is now on these pills the vet said that they were roundworm. And we are taking her in next week anyway.