1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is my fish doing!?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OnixRevolution, Jan 23, 2006.

1. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

I have this african cichlid that I got a while ago that keeps digging. I know they're prode to dig, but its gotten to be obsessive-compulsive like. Everytime I look into the tank, the fish is taking a peddle out anf putting it into a pile, one by one. It'll go all the way down to the glass bottom. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

mine did that to then i switched to sand it helped mthe holes weren't as deep

3. OnixRevolution

Is the fish just going to keep doing this, or is there a reason why?

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

its in there nature they do that in the wild to for terroteries and also for breeding i belive

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, totally normal. I have one that will have a pile of sand 6" - 8" tall in a matter of days (he gets really mad when I flatten it).

-Chelle

6. OnixRevolution

Yeah, I have a nice big pile on the back of the tank from that fish. Thanks for your replies, it helped me understand a little more of this fish.

7. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

I found with my Blood Parrot he dug alot more in the sand. He is now in with gravel and it doesnt really fit in his mouth to well so he doesnt dig as much. When he was in the sand he would have all of the sand from the back of the tank up against the front glass and it had to be 10" high.

8. dude412

dude412 New Member