1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is my ghost shrimp doing?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by zarate, Oct 9, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I've got my 5 gallon set up with 4 or 5 (I can't find #5, I think I accidentally vaccumed the lil guy :( ) ghost shrimp and I see the same one every so often "hug it's tail". It's not actually hugging it's tail, but that's what it looks like, and I don't know how else to describe it. Does anyone know what he's doing? They are all doing very well, but I'm just curious to know what he's doing. Thanks for any replies!
    -Mandi
    PS, I have a betta in there, but I'd like to shuffle things around and put him in a different tank. Could I get a pair of fancy guppies to put in with the shrimp? I don't want the betta to eat them. I've had the shrimp in there for a week now, and he's not even looked at him...but ya never know!

2. zarate

zarate New Member

I found the 5th ghost shrimp!
    -mandi

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Once your ghost shrimp are big enough, they will have a darker spot towards the back of their tail. If you look closely you will see many legs where this dark spot is...it's the babies! Soon after you will see all the little ghost shrimp free. During this time the shrimp may appear to hug their own tails. They also molt off their skin, which will make you believe that one has died.

4. zarate

zarate New Member

Oh, so the diagnosis is babies!!!!! That would be so neat if she had some babies. I know it is very unlikely they'll survive however.
    The GS is turning almost a white color, it's no longer clear, and she won't let me get a good look at her (You don't know how tempting it is to pick her up and examine her...that could turn ugly!) I can't see the spot from where she's at, but is it possible she's going to molt soon?
    I've seen ghost shrimp with eggs before, but I don't recall if they turned whitish or not. Thanks for your help!
    I'm gonna keep my eye on her and wait until she's where I can get a good look at her.
    Thanks again.
    -M