1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is soo special about snails?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

What is soo special about snails? I don't see why people usually have them in their aquariums. Is there something that I am missing here?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, snails can look nice if not overpopulating, and can eat some algae.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well, what I like to call hitchhiker snails (generally common ramshorn & pond snails that come in on plants) are really a neussance and I would be really glad to be rid of them.

My apple/black mystery snails on the other hand, I really like. I just thing they're cool looking and in my fry tank at least, they do a really great job of cleaning up un eaten food. But mainly I think they're cool looking.

-Chelle

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I saw some big apple snails at my lfs. HOw big do they get when fully grown?

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i think i have heaerd of them gettin to the size of a softball, but largest i have seen was around a tennis ball size.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Wow, are you serious! I guess that means no snails for me!

Lol!

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i think they only get that size after a long time, i think a few years if they are able to live that long...its not anything that hapens quickly.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I c, but i still wouldn't want a snail that big. Lol!

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

lol, true.....i wonder what one that size would be gonig for pricewise....since you rarley see them that large.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The size of apple snails partially depends on the temperature they're kept at. Lower temperatures slows down their metabolism so they live longer and can grow larger. Warmer temperatures speeds up their metabolism so although they will grow faster, they won't live as long and can't get as big. My 1st apple snail (kept at tropical temps) died recently and he was 2" across at the widest spot.

-Chelle