1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is the ideal temp for goldfish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by zarate, Oct 7, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I was wondering what the ideal temp is for goldfish, and how low can the temp get without harming them?
    My mom has a pond (not sure how many gallons, but it's in their flower bed, dug into the ground....just got finished this summer) I'd say it's about 2 feet deep (just a guess)
    Is it ok for her to leave her fish out over the winter, and live under the ice...or would she be better off to bring them in? She'd like to bring them in but we were just curious.
    I also let my mom take my 3 goldfish from the fair as I read on here they don't do well in small aquariums. I agree, they seem much happier there. It seems they taunt my brothers cat, he'd love to get ahold of one, but the way it's set up he'd fall right in if he even tried, so he just peers over the edge. Thanks for any replies
    -Mandi

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I dont think they would survive a wisconsin winter. our temps here dont get below 30 and our fish do okay in our pond. they do have pond heaters but again it get so cold there I dont know if that would work either

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not 100% sure about Wisconsin. The temperatures in Missouri generally get down in the 20's (sometimes lower) and people have told me that they winter goldfish in 2' deep ponds just fine (I made mine 4' deep to be on the safe side). Wisconsin gets a whole lot colder, though. Probably your best bet would be to look around for a pond store in your area and ask them.

-Chelle

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

More than likely a 2 foot deep garden pond is going to freeze solid in a Wisconsin winter. It will get below freezing and stay there for a good long time in. You can anticipate temperatures below zero many nights, and not a whole lot warmer during the day.

If you want your fish to survive, it would be best to bring them inside for the coldest months.

5. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

how deep do you think a pond would have to be in canada in order to keep them out during the winter
    it gets about -30celcius during the winter and doesnt ussually get up above -10celecius all winter