1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what is the most vicious piranah..

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by big-pig-666, May 15, 2005.

1. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

what is the most vicious species of pirnaha or toothed schooling fish????

2. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

Are you talking about the fish that will eat your face off if you put it too close to the water?

3. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I heard that rhoms and black piranhas can be very vicious!

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I don't know about most vicious, but my sister was sold a scatophagus at the LFS after the sales person assured her it was peaceful and would do well in her community tank.

It killed everything, including the two piranha she bought after everything else was dead.

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

serrasalmus manueli are pretty mean..

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Red belly purahina (exuse spelling) those things ask no questions, they smell blood, its done for, a small school could eat a dog in minutes! Red bellys are better off in wild then in tanks thou, i recommend red belly (also known as Red Chested) RBs work well in groups, 1 big killing team.

Y u want visiouc killers?

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, bud, sorry to break the news, but if you want P's because of their aggression then you are mistaken. after having experience with them and being a memebr of a major online forum which involves P's you will be disappointed. if you like the fish for other reasons, thats cool and by all means get one. but if your in it for aggression know this........movies and stories make them sound like monsters (like tricksters post) when in all reality they are shy and can be very skittish.....i could litterally put my hand 1" away from the mouths of the 3 6" red bellies i had without any fear of getting bitten.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

huh. i see, well guess u cant always trust National Geographic Channel

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

lol yeah. htey probably made them seem like vicious carnivores that will stop at nothing jsut to bring up their ratings. i mean it is possible that can happen, but it is only under extreme circumstances such as low water level, overcrwoding, and starvation.

11. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

I was wondering that myself...Why do you want to know which P is most vicious? If you keep your Ps well fed, they're not going to go all crazy like you see in the wild. Animals are always more vicious in the wild because they have to fight more for food since they don't get fed every morning by a human.

12. A*F*O

A*F*O New Member

to bad thats not a piranha lol

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I'm still holding on to my guess with the rhoms or black piranhas.

14. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

I have to agree with grnlemonade completely. At one time I had six in a 125 gallon and fed them beef heart by hand. One of the shops that I worked at had two in a 75 gallon. With those two the only worker ever bitten in 11 years was cleaning the tank with a DE filter. She stirred the gravel up until the tank was completely cloudy and ended up accidentaly cornering one of them and had to have two stitches. I also at that time had the opportunity to talk to a man that traveled around the world researching fish. His statement about RB's was that the natives go swimming in those rivers all the time. The only time they were really at risk was during the spawning season, and they knew not to go in the water at that time. Their reputation is greatly overexagerated. They are very skittish fish. The balony about a couple of piranhas stripping a cow to the bone in a matter of minutes is exactly that, baloney. The danger with RB's in nature is that they travel in schools of hundreds.

15. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Good post :y_the_best:

16. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

Although the vicousness of the piranha is greatly exagerated, do not be mislead by the numerous posts on how you don't have to worry about them biting you in the tank. A lot of piranha fury members are extremely cautious around their p's and for good reason (several have been bitten when being careless). Piranha's teeth are razor sharpe, can cut through bone, and CAN take out a finger. Thanks to the misleading posts... you are lulled into a false sense of security. I always have someone track my p's when working in the tank. They may not outright attack your hand, but if you corner them or threaten them in any way, they will lash out. Why take the chance when a little caution can save your fingers? To me its not worth it to be reckless in the tank. In times of starvation, piranha will attack things that happen to fall into the water. Including the natives. Usually these waters are avoided. But it does happen, it takes a few minutes for a large school of p's to strip an animal to the bones. I've seen it on film.