1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What is the right age for cats to have kittens?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Inuyasha_Cali, Nov 13, 2006.

?

What is the right age for cats to have kittens?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2007.
  1. 6-12 months old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Inuyasha_Cali

Inuyasha_Cali New Member

Hello, i wanted to know what is the right age for cats to have kittens.

2. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Hi Inuyasha_Cali. Welcome to the Board.

I voted never since there are too many homeless and unwanted kitties.
    If we have our kitties spayed or neutered, there wouldn't be such an overpopulation of kitties in the United States.

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

I totally agree with sunset.. There is Sooo many un-wanted kittens in shelters..To many. ](*,)

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I also voted never but from a different perspective - if all cats were spayed/neutered eventually we'd lose them so obviously they can't all be and I'm sure never they all would be.
    BUT....if someone is breeding to enhance the BREED of a cat i.e., responsible breeder versus backyard breeder who simply lets their cat(s) reproduce then I don't have a problem with it. A breeder who has a spay/neuter contract, will take their kitten (or cat if grown up) back rather than let the original purchaser simply put the cat in a shelter or give away, a breeder who only lets their cats have a litter every other year, etc. A responsible breeder who cares about the little lives they are letting their cats create.
    But to simply let a cat have kittens just cause should fall into the never category.
    The excuse of I want to kids to see the gift of life, a cat should always have one litter, I love kittens and my cat therefor I want my adored cat to have kittens hoping she has one just like her, my friends love my cat so I'm going to let her have kittens so they can have one - those excuse, and many more like them, are just irresponsible.
    Off my soapbox now....but it was fun

5. ShortLady

ShortLady New Member

Does everything have to become a political forum??

Without making this into a debate about the right-ness or wrong-ness of letting your cat reproduce - quite frankly that's not how I read the question... It seemed to me that Inuyasha_Cali is just looking to broaden his/her feline knowledge. The simple answer is that MEDICALLY a cat is old enough to have kittens at 6 - 12 months. While I am in favor of spaying and neutering, I don't presume to impose my views on others... that decision is up to each pet owner to make, acting on their best judgment.

6. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Inuyasha_Cali is the one that included "never" in his/her survey options, so that was obviously one of the expected answers. I think that people have the right to explain why they voted the way they did.

I also voted Never, by the way. I just don't understand intentionally bringing more cats into the world when there are so many homeless cats sitting on death row right now.

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Well said Lunaguy...

8. vene

vene New Member

Why and how did you come up with the poll idea? I thought the choices were a little odd. :|

9. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I voted 'never' too. Cats become able to breed at a very young age (under one year). And I just heard mentioned on Animal Cops on the Animal Planet channel that one female cat and her kittens can produce over 400,000 offspring within 7 years.

10. lucy locket

lucy locket New Member

:wink: 6-12mths a kitten can get pregnant younger though.

11. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Being pregnant at 6 months or younger can not be very good for any kitten, they are just babies themselves its just too young and irrisponsible. :roll:

12. yogi

yogi New Member

if this poll is to establish the healthy age

18 months to 2 years would be correct if in fact one was to breed their cat. As one who formerly was a cat breeder, none of mine were bred til after 3rd season. This age group was not noted on the poll. Under this age is considered unhealthy as you want a mature cat not a kitten having kittens.

13. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

i voted never as well..but why is 2days a choice?