1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what kind of fence for a cat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by eman, Apr 1, 2006.

1. eman

eman New Member

i am just wondering what would be the best kind of fence for my backyard. i want to be able to let the cats out and not worry about them climbing the fence or jumping over it. how high is high enough? 7 feet?
    and if it was made of wood, would a cat be able to climbe it even if it was really high?
    if it was a chain link fence and it was very high..would a cat be able to climbe it? how high should it be?

thank you..

2. shnen

shnen New Member

I don;t think 7 feet is high enough... and it can't have anything they canuse to get higher. I have known some pretty amazing jumps cats have done - but the bad thing about it is - you don't know what a cat is capable of doing until you try to stop them from it!

Don't forget about the bottom of the fence too... but honestly - if you want to have your catsoutside I am not sure there is a fence to stop them!

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you can have a 1' section at the top angled in.
    That way if the cat tries to climb the fence he/she falls off when they get to that angled section

4. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I agree, there is no fence to stop a cat. My neighbor's cats scale my 7 foot wooden fence like nothin'. And they completely clear my 4 foot chain link. I don't know about that angled in idea....sound good though. Keeps criminals in, doesn't it??

5. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

There is no stopping an agile cat from scaling any kind of fence. No matter the height either. My mom's meezer used to jump from the floor up to the top of an open door and sleep on it! No kidding! She would land on the one inch wide door and sleep up there like a baby. To this day, that cat amazes me.

6. vene

vene New Member

If only fencing would work for our kitties. They can scale just about any height and squeeze through tight spots at gates and beneath gates. I trust Milo, Pumpkin, and Monty to take walks in our yard since they won't venture far or in dangerous places. Rene is another story. :roll:

7. shnen

shnen New Member

ACTUALLY.... I found an invisible fence that you bury the lines underground, and kitty wears a really big combersome collar and if kitty tries to go over it kitty gets a shock... that is - if you can keep the collar on kitty!

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/cat_prducts/cat_fences.htm

there are also fences out there you can buy - but they look like driving range fences! (just not as high) I guess it depends how dedicated you are to haing your cat go outside.

http://www.purrfectfence.com/default.asp

8. winnie

winnie New Member

Maybe a covered run of some sort for the cats instead? I saw this neat thing on a breeders website once, they had a covered porch attached to the side of their house(wasnt huge but a good size for cats). The cats in the house could go onto the porch by going through a window in the house that leads out to the porch.Then the cats could get sun and fresh air, but are safe and secure at the same time.They can also go back inside the home if the want.
    I believe you can make one, like this breeder did, im trying to get my boyfriend to make me one too.

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

never ever use the shock collars on a cat NEVER
    those things aren't even supposed to be used on small dogs. There is a weight limit on them.

10. shnen

shnen New Member

Actually thanks Mary - i was so excited about finding the other fence I forgot to say that those invisible fences, where the cat wears a collar are inhumane... I went to a pet store once and they had one on the dog, and he could only go so far then he'd get a little zap - it was the saddest thing to see!

11. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

I think they are completely inhumane for any animal no matter what their size is. The only time I think it's ok to use an invisible fence is if you have a dog that can jump jump jump and you've exhausted all other measures and you don't want the dog to get killed or stolen running in the streets.

The next thing about the kitty fence...that's wild!!

I am so glad that we have a screened in back porch now for Hunter to hang out on! It's fantastic for him. He gets to "hunt" and enjoy the fresh air in a safe place.