1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What other fish would fit in a 5-7 gallon tank then goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Ellie, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I like my goldfish but im getting a little sick of them. They are very boring fish after you had them for awhile. I was wondering if there was any other fish then goldfish or a betta that could fit in a 5-8 or under 10 gallon tank.
    Thanks

-Ellie

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, a 5 - 8 gallon tank isn't even big enough for a single gold fish so it is best if you find it/them a new home.

That small of a tank is pretty limiting. I have a 5 gallon with a betta and a few pygmy cory catfish. Oto catfish would also work. A dwarf gourami would work (but only one - they're too territorial to keep two in that small of a tank). You could also fit about 2 or 3 guppies in there or a few neons (but they prefer larger groups so it's not really recomended). Apple snails and african dwarf frogs would also work.

-Chelle

3. Ellie

Ellie New Member

thanks t_chelle I think i'll stick with my goldfish or save up for a bigger fishtank. What size would be recommended and what would be the price? Thank you for your help.

4. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

Rule of thumb for goldfish is at least 10 gallons per fish, and certainly much more once they finish growing. Goldfish tend to get at least 6 inches long, and can certainly get much longer depending on the species.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What kind of goldfish is it? Is it a fancy (round body) or a common (longer, more slender body)?

I, personally, hate the 10 gallon rule. I've seen a 5" fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. It wasn't pretty. I would go for a bare minimum of 20 gallons for fancies (or if you have more than one, you could squeeze them into 15 gallons each (ie 30 gallons for 2, 45 for 3, etc). For commons, I wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 55 gallon. And really, a large pond would be much more suitable.

And price will really depend on where you get it.

-Chelle

6. Ellie

Ellie New Member

The kind of goldfish i have are a normal goldfish,and a white goldfish with a red head. I still don't know what kind of fishtank i should get any ideas?

7. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I don't even know if i want goldfish in my new tankof i get it. I might want differn't fish.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well you need to do something about the goldfish in your current tank becasue it's not big enough. How big are they? How long have you had them?

If you want to properly house them you're going to need at least a 75 gallon tank (that's going on the assumption that one's a common and the other is a red cap oranda - is it's red spot kind of lumpy like cauliflower?)

-Chelle

9. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I had my goldfish since christmas. I first had 3 then 2 of them died. One of them died from a disease and the other god strankeled and killed in a plant. I bought a second goldfish awhile ago. Yes my goldfish has a red bump like a colyflower. NO my fish hardly grew at all well just a bit. i had another question do fish usually loose there scales? Thanks for your help

-Ellie

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No, it's not normal for fish to loose scales (they don't just shed them like cats & dogs shed hair).

How big are the fish now?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

You really need to get those fish into a bigger tank soon or you're going to start running into problems with stunting. Stunting/"growing to the size of their tank" is NOT healthy. It causes both internal and external deformities. It can lead to a number of illnesses and premature death.

-Chelle

11. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Both of her fish are fancy and very small still.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How small is "small"?

If they're both fancies, then she needs at least a 30 gallon tank.

-Chelle

13. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yeah, maybe five or six cms.

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's not too horrible, but I still recommend a larger tank ASAP.

-Chelle

15. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I wan't to buy a 20 gallon with a heater and maybe keep my goldfish somewhere else.

16. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Goldfish are COLD water fish, they do not need a heater.
    A heater is not good for goldfish, i would actually recommend a chiller since my goldfish tank gets to 85f in the summer! (That is if u got the money for a chiller since they very expensive)

17. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I'm not getting a heater and a 20 gallon tank to keep my goldfish in. I'm getting it cause i want to start a tropical fish tank.

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

IMO, you should take care of your goldfish and get them an apropriate home before starting a new tank.

-Chelle

19. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Well, i already have fish to put in my tropical fishtank if i get it. My brother offered me to pick a couple fish out of his tropical tank, till i get more when i get my tropical fishtank. I think i'll just keep my goldfish in the tank i have becaue they seem to like it. I might get a tropical tank i hope, if not i'll still care for my golsfish (Raymond and Bubbles). Thankyou for your help t_chelle! :wink: :D

-Ellie

20. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i would think about getting a bigger for your gold fish if you realy want to care for them