1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What small fish can i fit in a 10 -15 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Neon, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Neon

Neon New Member

What small fish can i fit in a 10 -15 gallon tank?

2. gravity

gravity New Member

Well, this is actually fairly easy. Your local pet store will have a community fish section. You can pretty much get ANYTHING they have in that section as long as the biggest it will get is about 2 inches. The only issue you will come across with community fish is that you can't get something with showy fins if you also get something that likes to nip at other fish. An example would be a betta (fighting fish, showy fins) and tetras (fin nippers). I have a 10 gallon at work with 4 zebra danios and 5 tetras. One of my coworkers tried to put guppies in, and they all died within a week.

I personally recommend guppies and mollies. You don't have to worry about them killing each other, which can cost you more money with replacements, both mollies and guppies come in vibrant and many different colors, and you can get a couple of each since they stay pretty small. you could get 3 or 4 of each without really encountering any problems. A heater, a filter, some rocks and a fake plant or two, and some food and you're pretty much guaranteed a pretty tank that won't cause you a lot of hassle or money AND will get you in with the ladies =).

3. Neon

Neon New Member

could i throw some apple snails into there?

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

with what ?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Apple snails should be fine with most small fish (I even have 3 in my african cichlid tank).

-Chelle

6. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Are Apple Snails just regular old snails? What is there main use besides an addition to the aquarium?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They're just a group of snails. If I'm not mistaken, one of their defining features is a trap door/operculum. And they get their name because they can get roughly the size of an apple.

-Chelle

8. dude412

dude412 New Member

this is a good line up for a 10 gallon in my opinion
    2-3-swordtails come in many nice coulors
    1-african dwarf frog
    1-2-ghost shrimp
    1-apple snail
    3-4 zebra danios if you use this lineup you could have a mini ecosstem and look awesome and maybe im not sure but u might be able to put in a red tailed shark one of my favoruites?

9. gravity

gravity New Member

Red-tailed sharks need to be in 20 gallon longs or 25+ gallons. They need room to swim. I went out and bought a 29 gallon specifically for my Red-tail, which I bought before I knew that they need bigger homes.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would lose either the swordtails or the zebras.

-Chelle

11. tina1

tina1 New Member

Swordtails get too large for ten gallons IMO and zds need more swimming space. Look into platties and a small group of tetras. A betta along with a school of smaller corries is also an option :)

12. M_wm

M_wm New Member

how about rams?

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You might be able to keep a pair of rams in a 10 gallon. I wouldn't put anything else with them, though because they are fairly sensitive to water quality. It would be much better to understock with rams involved.

-Chelle