1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what to do about butt scooting

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Sep 28, 2006.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Is this a sign of worms and what should I do, Jake has been doing this for a few days now

2. Sara

Sara New Member

I know in horses, butt scratching is a sign of worms and have heard it in dogs as well. BUT I've also heard it can be a sign of clogged anal glands (ew)

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Agree with Sara, it can be a sign of either...although sometimes they just have an itchy butt and need to scratch it....so they do this a couple of times but depending on what theyve scratched it on initially they can cause irritation to the skin which makes them want to scratch more. Worth having a vet check up if it continues though.

4. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

If worms then a one time pill dose will clear it up. If impacted anal glands then the vet can express and treat with an antibiotic if necessary. Either way I would have your Vet take a look.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Molly is a butt scooter and she easily empties her anal glands on her own (the smell betrays her), but the glands should be emptying w/bowel movements.
    I've been told to add roughage to her diet...dogs are supposed to have firm stools and it's the firmness of the stool that helps their anal glands empty naturally. The oil excretes with bowel movement. If the stool is too soft the glands can't execrete on their own and it is uncomfortable for the dog hence the butt scooting.
    I put frozen organic veggies in Molly's Kong and sometimes apples (I put kibble in then the veggies or fruit and seal with lowfat cream cheese). It has helped her.

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yep if its not worms its definalty anal glands, they can become irritatating and itchy, and the dog just wants to pop them :shock: :shock:
    My mums dog used to do it all the time on the carpet, she scoot for ages..

7. LucyLu

LucyLu New Member

Our dog Lucy used to do this and it was her anal glands. We would take her to the vet and they would express her glands and then she would be fine. You may need to add more fiber to your dog's diet if this keeps happening. Canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin, not pie filling) is very good for this problem. Good luck!

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Yep, glands. But my Mom's pom scoots and I think he has fleas at the base of his tail.