1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what to do for a stinky litter box

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Feb 2, 2005.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

Hi, ok background for anyone who doesn't know me. Ok before I had Dales litter box in a bathroom/laundry room in the basement of a big house. We just moved back to America to a 2 bdrm townhouse, there isn't really a good spot for the litter box (usually I 'd put it in the bathroom) so i have it in a closet in the spare bedroom. The townhouse has new carpets and stuff so it has that new house smell. Dale came here last Wednesday, and I have been cleaning the litter box everyday, bc it stinks so bad! I have just recently switched the litter to rescue clean sweep she was using 2 litter boxes before, one with a pellet type litter and the other with the crystals. Do you think before my house just had so many other smells (it was 70 years old) I just never noticed or do you think it is this litter? Or the switch in food? and what does anyone else use to cover up the smell? I have a "tart burner" and use a spray and one of those room deoderizer things. What else can I do? Thanks!

2. vene

vene New Member

With 4 kitties, I used to buy Scoop Away until it became very dusty. Then I switched to Arm & Hammer and have loved it ever since. I will put a small fresh layer after each scooping and has helped quite a bit. :mrgreen:

3. nern

nern New Member

Do you have a hooded box? If not, getting one might make a huge difference.

4. I_Miss_Baz

I_Miss_Baz New Member

Tidy Cats has something that you can sprinkle on top of the litter that I've used before and it does a pretty good job. I always put some on the bottom of the litter box , too, before I put the litter in.

5. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I'm an Arm and Hammer fan myself. I scoop Boogers box twice a week usually and replace the top layer like Vene does. I never noticed any oder problem at all.

Vene, boy that stuff clumps good! Scooping is no problem at all. I absolutely love the sentless Arm and Hammer litter.

My hubby is gone for about 2-3 days at a time so he would notice any oder right away when he comes home and has never noticed it unless I had just finished scoooping. I scoop it into plastic grocery bags then tie them off and toss them in the trash.

6. I_Miss_Baz

I_Miss_Baz New Member

I've never used he Arm and Hammer...I use Tidy Cats..how does it compare?? We've tried some others, but have always gone back to Tidy Cat. Might have to try the Arm and Hammer. How is it with multiple cats? I have 5.

7. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I've never tried Tidy Cat so I don't know how they'd compare. But the Arm and Hammer litter I use is specified for multi cat homes.

EDITED TO ADD: Even when her box is over due for a scooping, I don't smell anything untill I start digging and even then, it's not bad. I don't have to hold my breath or anything. It's good stuff.

8. vene

vene New Member

Cassie, I love the unscented Arm & Hammer too. Although lately they are hard to find and I'm stuck with the scented ones which actually smells good. I_Miss_Baz, I've never tried Tidy Cats. Maybe I'll buy some next time and compare. :mrgreen: I only have 1 litter box for 4 cats and no smell problems so far. :oops: I do have to scoop the litter 4-5x a day.

9. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I admit that I should scoop more often if only for Booger's comfort :oops: It's just that her box is out of site in a storage room off our bathroom. It's kinda an out of sight, out of mind thing. I promise to scoop at least 3x's a week starting tomorrow!

10. I_Miss_Baz

I_Miss_Baz New Member

I have 4 litter boxes and they are in the basement. We live in an older house and have a 'coal' room in the basement which is where the litter boxes are. I use the large storage boxes with holes in the side for easy entry. It takes care of the standing-on-the-side-pooping-on-the-floor syndrome.

I'll have to check out the Arm and HAmmer next time I buy litter.

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I have a litterbox (hooded) in each bath (1 and 1/2 baths) for my 3 cats; regular unhooded box in the foster room for Cleo; and I got a disposable box for the 2 other fosters cause they are leaving me on 2/12 - I use Fresh Step regular litter and I scoop as needed, do a total clean/refill every Saturday and I don't have an odor issue at all.

12. lil96

lil96 New Member

I never use the clumping litter, because I think the clumps make it more difficult to clean out. Dale likes to pee maybe once a day, so when she pees it is ALOT! so the whole thing gets clumped up right away, but I can try it again to see if it helps with the smell. Thanks everybody!! :D

13. nern

nern New Member

I use Tidy cats scoop most of the time. I've used Arm & Hammer and loved it but can't seem to find it easily in larger boxes (I usually buy the 35lb bucket of Tidy). Tidy works pretty well for odors and multiple cats in my experience...I've been using it for years.