1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What to do now?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginny, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

My soppy hand reared cat has brought home a very manky looking long haired scruffy dirty stray cat. That silly cat just loves everyone and everything! I have no problem with feeding him, he does seem hungry and comes into the house at night and eats all the biscuits! He seems really scared of people though.

Everytime I am in the house he sits in my conservatory when the door between there and the house is closed. If I open the door he wails and runs. Every morning I come downstairs and see a flash of dirty long fur vanishing through the cat flap, and a bit more wailing!

I hate the idea of him being homeless. If he does have a home he must either be shut out a lot, or isn't treated very well. One problem is, he sprays. I am constantly wiping my sofa, spots in my conservatory, and have recently had to scrub the carpet. This I object to and don't know what to do about it. Obviously that wouldn't stop me homing him if he chose to move in with us, but it is an issue. The smell is sometimes horrific.

What should I do about him? I can keep feeding and talking to him. I just worry about if he's ill, or injured - there is no way I could get near him.

I think there must be a poster up somewhere pointing unwanted cats in my direction! 2 out of my 3 cats found me, when I least wanted to add to my menagerie. Do I have 'can't say no' written on my forehead?

2. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Aw, you're just a loving, giving person. I have a soft spot for kitties, too.

We got a kitty from the Humane Society many years ago who was very sweet but she also liked to spray inside the house. We already had another kitty so I think it was a territorial problem. She was aggressive toward our kitty. We had to take her back to the Humane Society since it wasn't working out.

It would be a very hard decision to make since you are considering to take him in. Maybe don't let him into the house for now until he warms up to you more and just feed him outside. See what happens then. Once he warms up and when you decide what to do, maybe having him neutered will help him with the spraying. You could also call you Vet and ask for advice.

Best of luck.

3. vene

vene New Member

Ditto what Sunset said. Would you be able to get a loaner trap and put food and water bowls inside it to attract the stray kitty? Unfortunately, your kitties won't be able to use the door flap until that cat is caught. The cat should be checked for feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS and other health issues and ownership. Good luck!

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you have custody of the neon sign that states "homeless cats treated well here"
    STart by getting him vetted - neutered, vaccines, etc.
    If you can get your hands on him.
    He's marking his new territory with his spraying.
    Even if after the above he asks restless you could release him but still care for him. At least he won't be impregnating cats or get contagious kitty diseases. He might simply be used to the outside world more than inside. Or it'll simply take time.
    But I'd start with the vet

5. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hehe!

Well, I can't get near him. Although yesterday I was washing up and he was sitting behind me crunching away at the cat biscuits! As soon as I moved though he ran out again.

I do know that another neighbour 2 houses away from me is also feeding him. That's good to know as if I'm away I know he'll be ok.

He's got a lovely face, very mucky and scruffy but still beautiful :)

6. vene

vene New Member

It's heartwarming to know that you and the neighbor is taking care of the little cat. :kiss_heart:

7. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I am glad to hear that this fur baby is being taken care of by you and the neighbor!! What big hearts you two have to "take" him in. Kudos

8. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thankyou. He is now so well fed that he is actually turning his nose up at some of the food my neighbor has offered him!! We have also made some shelter for him, so that in the winter he can get inside into a little bed. :)

9. Charlene Morris

Charlene Morris New Member

neighbor how soft catches feral cats

You and your KIND heart must be related to my neighbor, Chris; she is a former animal officer and now works for a foster shelter-she humanely catches the ferals that come by, a Vet at the shelter gives them all free complete physicals, does all shots-and spays/neuters, then Chris babies them until they either decide to adopt her or just want to roam-then she lets them go-only one has had leukemia and been put to rest, all others have been "fine" (just on their own...) what a gift-to have these little ones given TLC, and fattened up by nice folks like you-"Pet-Angels-on-Earth" (and, all of the neighbors here know our fur-babies are kept safe if they should be outdoor/indoor critters-our Maggie-cat is now fully indoors-but she used to LOVE hiding in the bean plants:) BLESS YOU Char

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Ginny. Looks like you got a lot of good advice. Any chance you could try and take a picture of him?

11. Ginny

Ginny New Member

I can certainly try. He's a scruffy looking thing though, I'd love to be able to give him a good brush, but I doubt there's any chance of that! Will post one if I manage to get one, but it won't be a close up!

12. Ginny

Ginny New Member

[​IMG]

Here's the grumpy old fella glaring at me through my cat flap, waiting for his breakfast! Handsome though eh?

He's a bit braver now, he only runs a short distance from me now when I give him his food. I just chat to him like I do my others, I expect he just thinks I'm a bit strange but I'm sure he'll grow to love me. Any suggestions for a name?

13. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

What a handsome fella!!! Great face..... awwwwww
    What about Oscar?

14. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Oscar is a very cool name but I've already had an Oscar! :D

15. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

16. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

He is a very handsome kitty. I'm not very good at thinking up names so can't be much help there.

17. Ginny

Ginny New Member

[​IMG]

Here's a better photo. He's more at home now, sleeps at mine overnight on the top landing with my other cat Harvey. I still can't get near him, but just accept that, and talk to him and give him his breakfast and dinner each day. We're all happy with that arrangement :D

18. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

does he have a name yet?
    Being safe is better than him being a lap cat at least.
    In time he'll trust you - especially when he understands where his meals are coming from

19. Ginny

Ginny New Member

No name yet - still thinking.

One problem we have is that I think he has fleas, as my son is covered in bites and I know he goes into my sons bedroom at night. All mine are treated, but we are now having to close off the bedrooms! I wish I could get hold of him to at least treat him for fleas and worms. Maybe in time it will be possible.

:roll: