1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with my cats when we move?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by JeanReed, May 23, 2006.

1. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

Hi Everyone

I wonder if someone could help me with a fairly urgent problem.

My husband and I are moving house and we don't know if we should take our cats with us or not.

Felix is 14 years old and he virtually lives with my elderly neighbour who I am sure would be more than willing to take him over permanently. I am sure he will be happier there to, although he does come to visit me occassionally and might be upset when he finds that we no longer live there.

Then there is Rascal who is 9 years old. She has lived in our house all her life. (We moved there when Felix was about 4). It is my mother's house and I thought that she was going to move in there and thus could keep Rascal, but now she says she is going to sell. She has, however, said that she can still take Rascal (she has no pets of her own). My only concern is that she lives near a busy road (not quite on one, but near one). We will be moving out to a more rural area - where there may be birds of prey, etc.

The other practical side of having Rascal live with my mother is that when we go away, if we don't take the dogs with us, then I can leave them with my mother, but I can't take the cat to my mother for a weekend. Therefore, it may be better if Rascal lives there anyway?

If I did not have the option to leave them behind, then I would obviously take both of them without a second thought, but I wondering where they would be happier? Rascal may quite like to live with my mom and not be harassed daily by the dogs, and I am sure that Felix considers the neighbour his home now.

Any suggestions / thoughts / ideas?

Thanks

Jean

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I would never consider leaving any of my pets behind simply couldn't do it.
    Perhaps your mother could make Rascal an inside-only cat so he doesn't become road kill, or same with your new home so he doesn't become some creature's lunch.
    Sounds like Felix has made his choice already. He'll forget you quickly enough. I don't mean to sound rude with that statement but with fostering I've found most cats move on rather quickly. sounds like Felix already has.

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Jean, you sort of answered your own questions.

You said Felix considers next door as his home so he would be fine there.

You said Rascal could live with your mother and not be harassed by the dogs, so that sounds like it would work. If you think you would miss him too much, you can take him with you.

I agree with Mary...once you and your mother have moved, whoever decides to keep Rascal could start keeping him as in indoor cat since he will be in a new environment anyway and maybe more willing to accept it.

I also agree that kitties are pretty adaptable. Best of luck.

4. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

i like to hear u are putting so much thought into this, and what may be best for your babies.

Mary pretty much hit the nail on the head i'm just adding my 2 cents coz i can and i have some time to kill *giggles*

But yes, cats can carry on quite nicely and Felix is making a great start.

let us know what you decide and how your move goes :)

5. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

Hi Everyone

Just to clarify the position - I wouldn't consider leaving either of the cats behind if I thought that taking them with me would be the best thing for them and would make them happy. Ultimately it is their happiness that I am considering first and foremost.

Felix "moved out" about 3 years ago - when people ask me what pets I have, I tell them (besides the dogs) that I have 1 1/2 cats and then explain how I have 1/2 a cat! I think that Fe considers the neighbour his home, and I fear that if I take him away, he might try and find his way back there as he doesn't consider where I live, home anymore. However, as Yvonne is 80 years old, I feel that it is only right to ask her if she would like him on a permanent basis. If she says no, then there is no question that I will take him with me (although my mom has offered to take him too).

Rascal is pretty much an indoor cat. Both cats were trained from kittenhood to come in at night and now that they are older, they seem reluctant to go out, which of course suits me fine. So keeping her in would not be a problem at all. She has even taken to using my pot plant as a litter tray as going out seems to be a hassle! So indoor cat she can be.

Just to reiterate that I would never consider leaving either of them behind if I thought that moving with me would be better for them, but I honestly think that Fe is happy with Yvonne and that Rascal would be happier with my mom as she would "rule the roost" and not have to run down the passage being persued by "puppies" all the time. She is 9 - she deserves some respect ! :y_the_best:

I think I do know the answers - I was just wondering if someone may come up with a reason as to why I absolutely should take them, no questions asked.

Thanks for your help - I will keep you updated.

Jean

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I think it's nice you are offering your 1/2 of the cat to a nice elderly lady. Just make sure you get in writing that if anything happens to her you get Felix back. Would be horrible if her family stuck him in a shelter.

7. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

Hi Mary

That is a good point. Whilst I am absolutely sure that there is no way that her daughter would put Felix in a shelter should something happen to her mom (as she is as moggy over cats as her mom is), I would also not want to burden them. I am going to ask if they would like to have him permanently (which basically just means handing over his vet card!) and if there is any hesitation, then I would not hesitate to take him (I do love the guy, after all - the feeling just doesn't seem to be mutual :cry: ) However, I would also tell them that if at any stage there is a problem with him, then they must please contact me and I would take him back. Like I have said, I would love to take him with me anyway, but I am trying to think of what would make him happier - after all - he does live with her. Also, if she considers him one of her cats, then I don't want to take him away from her. All quite silly when you think of it, but I love my animals more than people most of the time and if he is happier with her, then I will leave him there.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jean

8. vene

vene New Member

Whatever that makes the kitties happier will be the right thing to do. Looks like you really thought it out really well. Good luck with the move!