1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What to get in new 20 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by ZooKeeper, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ZooKeeper

ZooKeeper New Member

I need help on deciding what fish to get in my new 20 gallon tank. I would like to only have one or two large fish. Can anybody suggest a fish?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, cant be that large of a fish due to it being 20 gallon....do u know the dimesnions of the tank?

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

20 Gallon would make a nice marine tank :lol: Lets see... if your looking for smaller fish you could get Guppies, Mollies, Platys, White Clouds (Coldwater) Black Skirt tetras *aggressive) and a nice little corey cleanup-crew... or if you want a chichlid of some sort then I think you might be able to keep a convict and some wellchosen other fish that would be hurt.

4. fishexpert0101

fishexpert0101 New Member

oscars and red bellies wold be cool, and get a few plecos

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

WHOA...dont even try with oscars, red bellies or common plecos....all three of those get to be at least a foot long and would die in a 20 gallon....jsut one oscar needs at least 55 gallons...you can prob. get some gouramis or tetras or guppys, or millies, etc.

6. ZooKeeper

ZooKeeper New Member

Still need help

I have looked in to all the suggestions. I am considering a Jack Dempsey or a pair of Convicts. Would these be OK? does anybody have any more suggestions?

7. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Dont waste your breath hun. He is going to be banned and so is obelix..sad to say they are the same person

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A JD wouldn't work, they get just as big as oscars. As single con would probably work without any other tankmates.

-Chelle

9. Heather&Nicole

sort of off topic question..why are jack dempseys sooo expensive? this LFS that i went to was tryin to charge 150 bucks for it

10. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wow, JD's in my lfs only go for $6. But the so called "electric blue" ones are usually $57 :shock:

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

wow heatherandnicole. they are ripping you off if it is just the average jack dempsey...the blue ones are really expensive and usually arnt worht it because they seem to die for no reason many times.

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

if you like natives get yellow perch, a crappie, or bluegills.

13. Heather&Nicole

Yeah i didnt buy anything from that place because they had a 4 foot moray eel in a 55 gallon tank :cry: :cry: Other fish were overcrowded too. The JD was full grown.

14. Nameless

Nameless New Member

How big are fully grown JD's and what size tank do they need?

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They get around 10" and need at least 50 gallons each.

-Chelle

16. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Is there some other fish that is very similar to the JD but just smaller cause I don't think I have enough space for a 10'' fish like a JD?

17. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

mabye go with 1 yellowlab

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think a convict or maybe a firemouth is about as close as you will be able to get to a JD and still fit in a 20 gallon.

-Chelle

19. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Are firemouths compatible with convicts and are they the same size when fully grown?

20. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, they both get about 6" and given a large enough aquarium, they should get along okay. But I don't think both would work in a 20 gallon.

-Chelle