1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What's a healthy weight for kittens?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by darkrabbit213, Sep 3, 2006.

1. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I recently took Winks to Pet Quarters and weighed him on one of their pet scales, he's 9 months old and weighs 8.6lbs is that a healthy weight? He's pretty long and lean, but I'm always worried about over or under feeding him, I generally follow the instructions on the bag...

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

each cat/kitten is different. Mine range from 6 lbs. up to 13 lbs!!!
    Don't go by the feeding directions supplied by the cat food manufacturer. They'll have you overfeeding so you have to buy more cat food. This was just a huge discussion in the foster group as one foster has a cat that weighed 14 pounds at intake and he's up to 17!!!! She's been feeding him 6 cans of Fancy Feast/day according to the can. He's getting fatter and he should be losing weight.
    I free feed dry cause none of my cats are overweight (well Dixie but she has lost) and give wet food now and then throughout the day. I never read the feeding instructions.
    He'll let you know what he needs. 8.9 sounds good but I wouldn't let him get much over that unless he's going to be a large boy. Long, lean is good.
    this is a good chart for weight reference
    http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20 ... dition.htm

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I agree, it probably depends on the kitty. My Mittens is about 8 pounds and to me she is a little thin but is healthy.

Socks weighs abour 16 pounds and she is definitely overweight. I'm mixing diet food in with their regular dry food and I don't know if that is helping or not. Even when Socks was a kitten she was chubbier that Mittens.

I usually leave dry food out all the time so they can graze.