1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What's considered "Obese" or too large for a cat..

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by fridaylove, Jun 30, 2004.

1. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

I have never had a male cat before, nor have I had a totally indoor cat (my last kitty was in/out for the first 6 years of her life and then because of moving she had to be all in and she was a small kitty).
    Anyway, Hunter is a 10month old male...neutered and is a totally indoor kitty. He seems to eat a lot, but then he is also pretty active cat...goes NUTS in the house, running up and down the stairs, skidding on the floors.

I am worried about him getting overweight though and want to monitor him, as I know male cats do tend to pick up weight after neutering.

We leave out cat food for the kitties to munch on all day. I guess between two of them they eat like 1.5 cups per day maybe a little more and then in the evening time, DH gives them a spoonful of wet food each.
    His cat is 14 pounds...and I don't want Hunter to get big like that. We've cut Anna's food and she's lost weight in the two years she's lived with me...and in the 8 months since we've had Hunter.

So just curious what is a good weight for a cat....10 months old and then once they are full grown.

2. footsie

footsie New Member

Cats, like people are so differnt from eachother. Whats fat for one might be the ideal weight for another. Its best to go by body shape, to decide if the cat is overweight.

Typical is from 8-15 pounds, but a 20 pound cat is not uncommon for some breeds. Cats, especially active ones, tend to not overeat. Don't deny him any food unless you have it confirmed by a vet that he is unhealthy.

I have a feeling my Footsie is just going to keep growing. He's 13 months old and someone just told me that he's huge for a kittenish as he acts. I don't have a scale, but my guess is that he's about 12 pounds or so.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

4. lgm5309

lgm5309 New Member

I have a male kitty a little over a year old and when he was getting large I became concerned also.

I'm glad you are concerned about the change but it may not be anything to worry over. Some cats are jsut larger by nature.

However, I bought Purina's Indoor formula and I give my boy 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. i've noticed a difference. Make sure he has plenty of water and try to watch how much he is eating. I read that cats normally aren't the type of animal to overeat, however there are exceptions.

Kiefer is a strictly indoor cat and he is chuck full of energy, but he just doesn't have the room to excercise enough to use up everything. I suggest checking out the indoor formula.

good luck!

5. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Thanks for the responses...I think Hunter is fine, but I am going to keep an eye on him. We've got a decent size house and he runs around it...and within a year we should be buying something bigger, so he'll have more room then. He's a pretty active cat...and I am guessing that he eats the right amount.
    I feed him Purina One, hairball formula right now. Plan on getting the P1 chicken in the fall due to the higher levels of meat products.

6. lgm5309

lgm5309 New Member

good luck with everything