1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy food and prices

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ILoveGreatDanes, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

My dogs are currently eating a local brand that is very high quality and also very cheap as well since the product is specially made for the store I buy it at. It runs 12.99 for 20 pounds so if i remember correctly..its a little cheaper than Nutro Natural choice and in my opinion equally if not better ingredient wise. Anyways. I will be moving to the midwest in a couple months so will be needing some new food. I checked out a feed store and found Wellness which was $22 for 15 pounds...a much worse deal although I was very impressed with the ingredients. Is this a good price for this brand or was I just at an expensive store? There are literally NO pet stores in the city although there is one petsmart roughly 20 minutes from where I will be so that was a relief. What are the good brands that Petsmart carries? What does Innova run and are there any other brands along these lines that anyone can suggest I might find in this part of the country? Do not suggest Iams Euk SD etc and I already know about Nutro N.C. I'm looking for the less commin names as theyre generally the much better product. Thank you =)

Oh and I'll be in Indiana if anyone knows any good local places specific to that area.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Wellness and Innova are good foods. Ifi they are great danes they probably should be on large breed formulas. As for the price you have tpo figure - that Thyea re more expensive but you feed less so the cost usually averages about the same. feed store carry some very good brands. I will check into the price on wellness.

honeybear

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

About Natural Choice: They just came out with a brand called Ultra. It is all natural products, and I was very impressed when I read the label. It contains chicken, lamb, and salmon, plus other seeds, oils, and vitamins. I am swithching Harley over to it on my next bag (about 1.5 weeks). I have heard only great things about this new brand.

4. nern

nern New Member

I used to pay $20 for a 15lb. of Wellness and $18.99 for a 16.6 lb. bag of Innova. Both of these are excellent foods but I think Innova would be more cost effective because it is much more calorie dense than Wellness.
    The best brand I can think of at Petsmart is Nutro. If you have a Petco in the area they carry Natural Balance and Natural Blend which are both excellent foods.

5. ILoveGreatDanes

Unfortunately there is no Petco..at least that I have seen. Petsmart wasn't even in the phone book however so it may just be extremely new. I'll have to keep an eye out for the new Nutro procuct.

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Have you considered adding more natural food to the diet ? Did you know dogs in the wild eat a lot of vegetables ? Always got a kick out of vets and people who think because a dog chews on a stick it will get sick or die even have splinters in its tongue.
    I have yet to lose a dog, no I don't give them sticks to chews on but nor do I get upset when they have one. I sometimes wonder who we think we are that we change all the rules that God and mother nature made.

2pyrs

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I feed Harley a half natural diet, half kibble. Its great. I will eventually switch to a full natural diet, but can't afford it right now. For veggies, I always puree them for her first. It can sometimes be hard for their stomach to digest, so by blending it first, you eliminate the first step for them.

I have been giving this site out so much lately but its great. Yahoo has a group called Totally Home Cooking. Join and just read the recipes, or read the forum. You will learn so much.

8. ILoveGreatDanes

I would love to feed my dogs a completely natural diet but as the above post mentioned...cost is definately an issue right now. I will be moving to return to school Preveterinary medicine actually. Remembering my two years in college a couple years back I recall a lot of ramen for myself so cost is going to be a factor. Not so much of a factor that I would ever feed them ol roy or iams or anything like that. Just looking at my options!

9. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I think you would find cost would be cheaper in the end. By adding vegs to the food would mean less dry food used. Green beans and carrots are very low in cost. Consider picking your own when in season and freezing them. (I grow my own.) Chicken necks are not expensive as well as gizzards and pigs feet. I just bought 5 pounds of gizzards and it cost me around $3.00. If you wish to add dry food to this you well find savings.
    I feed my Collie 2 necks per week and vegs and gizzards every night with his dry food,it goes a long way.

2pyrs
    P.S.
    I noticed small notes at the end of some post so I thought I would add my own.

The word has power and the heart has love each is easy to break and miss understand. :)

10. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I feed 1/2 all natrual kibble (NUTO ULTRA) then just lately I've been going to my local grocery store's meat department and taking all their beef hearts. They are really cheap. A great big one cost a little over $2. I put them in the oven to just barely to get the drippy blood out of them , cut it into cubes and give it to my dogs with their Nuto. I was thinking about getting beef liver, but I don't think I will. I was raised in Iowa and I know some of the junk cattle farmers give their livestock in their feed. All of that synthetic stuff is filtered through the liver. I'll stick with the beef heart.

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Just make sure that the veggies aren't a huge part of the diet. Dogs need mostly meat and organs. Veggies are like an extra treat - too many replaces the nutrients they REALLY need.

PetsMart sometimes carries a brand called Blue Buffalo that looks like a decent food.

You could also buy food online if you don't have any good options in pet stores near you.

Jamiya

12. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Arthur 153 pound 6 year old Pyr Kiralee 125 pound 9 year old. Feed once a day dinner, One large cup of dry food and one cup of veg and one cup of gizzards.
    Day before and day after any work I increase his food adding 1 -2 chicken necks. He also has missing link at each dinner mixed in his food. No skin,hair ,ears,worms and flea problems. NO rawhide or stupid plastic bones. Two treats per day home made.

2pyrs

To each there own.