1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Which type of fish like vertical swimming space

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by dude412, May 2, 2005.

1. dude412

dude412 New Member

Well i have a hexagon tank and i realy dont know what to put in it i know i want it planted but thats about it should i do discus or should i get small fish should i do neaons and regular fish or go for odd ball fish can you give me some ideas and advice?

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I think guppys would be good

3. dude412

dude412 New Member

Would this work
    3 blueberry tetras
    1 baby whale
    1 albino redtailed shark
    3 zebra danois
    1 apple snail
    1 coolie loach
    3 Albino cory cats

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How many gallons is the tank?

-Chelle

5. dude412

dude412 New Member

A 35 gallon

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

If the blueberry tetras you're looking at are the same as the blueberry tetras I've seen elsewhere, please don't buy them. They're not blue by nature, they're dyed. Not only will the dye fade in a few weeks, and you'll have white tetras, but the dying process is very stressfull and a lot of fish die. Those that don't have shorter lifespans than their undyed cousins. The same is true for strawberry tetras. They're just white tetras that have been dyed.

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

good posting :y_the_best:

8. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

we say BOO to dyeing

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd also drop the baby whale and the albino shark. They get fairly large and a hex tank doesn't have a very large footprint so they wouldn't have much swimming room. I'd also pick either the kuli loach or the cories, because again, with a small footprint, the bottom of the tank would look a bit crowded with all those bottom dwellers. The apple snail will be fine (as long as you don't have live plants). And although a longer tank would be ideal for the danios, I dont' think a hex tank would be too bad for them. You could probably fit a single angel fish in there (they do good with tall tanks), but you'd probably have to drop the danios because they could get eaten.

-Chelle

10. dude412

dude412 New Member

what are some nice freshwater water fish who enjoy these conditions?
    35 hex tank
    live plants
    air pump
    7.0 ph
    price doesnt mater

11. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

Goldsust Mollys and Sunset Platys are very attractive fish and I've never had a problem with mine, they seems to thrive in most anything. I'm no expert though.

12. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Hey, if you live in the DC area, I have a bunch of community fish I'd love to give away... virtually all of them could do a 35g hex...

mollies, neons, serpae tetras, guppies, several varieties of platies ...

13. pinky_12_10

pinky_12_10 New Member

You should do 3 red breasted piranahs

14. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

3 RBP's in a 35 gallon hex tank would be a horrible idea. RBP's can reach 12" so there's no way 3 of them would fit since hex tanks are taller than they are wide.