1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

White foamy vomit?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by duckling, Jul 20, 2004.

1. duckling

duckling New Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing my 12 yr old dog to expel foamy white (with some mucous-y yellow) stuff in the afternoon and early evening? He hasn't been acting sick and seems fine before and after it happens... it's happened about 4 times in 3 days. Should I be worried? He's always had a touchy stomach, but in the past, vomit = brown, partially digested kibble. I don't think it's his food (Wellness Lamb) because he stopped vomiting kibble after the switch.

Maybe his stomach/GI tract is a bit irritated?

Thanks!

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Is he hacking or coughing at all. Possibly could be kennel cough. Its basically a contagious dog cold. What does everyone eles think?

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I really dont know what it could be, I wish I did. I hope someone else comes along with some answers for you and I will be praying for your pup.

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I don't know where you live, but summer heat can cause a usually healthy dog to vomit. Just keep him as cool as possible and watch for any additional symptoms. The older the dog, the more sensitive they become to the heat it seems.

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

My dog has had white foamy vomit. It wasn't anything serious but if it is happening quite regularly then it is probably best to take him to the vet.

Does he vomit before or after he eats? With my dog it was b/c her stomach was empty for extended periods of time ( I was only feeding her once a day). The white foamy stuff is usually what comes out if their stomach is empty. The yellow stuff is most likely bile.

If he is acting otherwise Ok I would just give it another day or two and see what happens. But make sure he is drinking so he doesn't get dehydrated.

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Heat and to much water, specially very cold water well come back up on them. Anything like grass or other plant in vomit ? If so this well come back up. I would be most concerned if it were after eating. How active after drinking ? Sassy our Jack does this a lot most the time after drinking to much water on a hot day or after a fast run in the yard. On the other hand Kira our Pyr has yellow in her vomit and as we were told by the vet she has liver problems so this could be the reason for it being yellow in her. Bile has a distinct odder and color. Old girl just turned 10.
    After dinner it's quite time for our guys no running around for and hour or so and on hot days we try to keep them cool and slow them down. Different spaces for each of them.

2pyrs

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

You should also watch out for the symptoms of Bloat or Twisted Stomach. The symptoms you describe are NOT Bloat but with an older dog it could possibly occur. Please look over the symptoms of Bloat at a web site I posted at:
    http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/index.htm

8. duckling

duckling New Member

Hi everyone -- thanks for all the replies!

I'm thinking that it's might be heat stress + too much water. We live in southern California, and he's an older dog who tends to be a water guzzler when he suddenly realizes that he's thirsty! I've been leaving dry food out for him to pick at between morning and evening meals in case he wants a snack, as he seems to vomit in the afternoon. He's acting normally otherwise and doesn't seem to have any symptoms of kennel cough or a bloat-like condition.

Thanks again!