1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my dog drool so much?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by iluvmykittys, Sep 29, 2005.

1. iluvmykittys

iluvmykittys New Member

We got our dog about 4 months ago- and she was 5 months old.
    We use to put her in her crate and she would drool like you wouldn't believe. She gets so upset being in there- that she nibbles her paws...but she drools pools of water- her chest & legs are soaked!!!! :( I mean really really soaked!! :( Last night she was bothering us at dinner and she was chasing my cat all around and nipping my mom's sweatshirt--so I put her in her crate for about 10 minutes to calm her down. She was soaked soaked, soaked!!!! :!: Why does she do this? And, will it ever stop?? :?:
    PLease write back if you have any info...
    Thanks!! :y_the_best:

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

If its only happening in her crate (or when left alone) then its an anxiety problem. There are quite a few different things you can do to try and at least diminsih it or even eliminate it. I read through this web-page, good tips on it.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/separationanxiety.html

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

The drool is a stress/fear reaction. You need to re-introduce the crate properly if you want to be able to use it. It could be that she would accept an ex-pen easier than a crate if you just need to confine her for something like dinner.

To re-introduce the crate, you have to make it a "fun" place to be. Usually you start by feeding in the crate. Leaving the door open, you put the food in and let her go in and eat it and leave. At other times of the day, toss treats in but still leave the door open. Gradually work up to where you can close the door while she eats but open it immediately. Gradually increase the amount of time the door stays closed, but sit right next to her and feed her through the bars. Start with just a couple seconds with the door closed and work up very slowly from there. When she will accept the door being closed, you move on to leaving the room. First just close the door and walk away and come right back, never leaving her sight. Work up to leaving the room for a couple seconds, and so on.

It can be a really long process, especially when she already has such negative experiences with the crate.

Whole Dog Journal had a very good article on crates a month or so ago, if you go and look in their archives.

4. boditosabear

boditosabear New Member

what kind of dog do you have?

5. iluvmykittys

iluvmykittys New Member

A 7month old, Female, Yellow Lab/Pointer Mix.....

6. Killerbee2

Killerbee2 New Member

The dog might need a different punishment. The dog is taking the crate different. You might want to research another punishment for your dog. And for as young as she is i dont know if she would be teething. And if it only happenes in the crate then it doesnt make since. The dog is taking it to hard. I recomend(sp?) trying something else! 8)