1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my parakeet only drink out of bottles not bowls

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by jump248, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jump248

jump248 New Member

Does he think he's a celebrity or does he not realize that it's the same thing in both the bottle and bowl?

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

if your providing both bottles and bowls he is probably just drinkin out of what he enjoys more... if you just gave him a bowl I bet hed be drinking out of it.. but why not give him what he wants>??

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

He may have learned that the bottle is where he gets water from, not from the bowl. I recently switched from bowls to bottles for water and Kiwi had a heck of a time figuring out where the water went.

I find that with my messy crew the water in the bottles is cleaner than when I had it in the bowl (no way to poop in the bottle).

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Different breeders and petstores give food and water different ways, Some use dishes some use feeders and drinkers.

I personally use water and food dishes which can be attached to the cage, I have never been a big fan of water bottles.

Chances are with your bird he was brought up drinking from a water bottle.

Always make sure if using a water bottle you have 2 that way when you are sterilising one you have another to put water in for him.

Yes it might sound stupid sterilising bottles but what people do not know is there is more risk of bacteria growing because people think oh well there still plenty of water in there and there is noway for the birds to poop in it that it is not going to get bacteria.

With an open water dish you need to clean them all the time which is good as this stops bacteria from forming.

Mike