1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

why is my kitten so mean?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by irunwithsizzors, Oct 1, 2007.

1. irunwithsizzors

irunwithsizzors New Member

i have just gotten a new kitten and ever since i brought jack'o lantern hom he's been so mean. he hisses @ max (my 5 month old cat) and also me! when ever i give them wet or dry cat food he freaks out and hisses and growls even when we walk by!i always leave food out for my kittens just in case.
    i was maybe thinking that he thinks he's not going to be able to eat....so he eats as much as possible then and there.
    i was wondering if there was anything that i could do to help him feel more @ home!
    thanx sarah

2. Bente

Bente New Member

What is the story of your new kitten? Is he a rescued stray? If so, that could explain why he hisses and growls when it's feeding time: he is used to fight for his food. Other possible explanations is that hes nervous since he is new in your home, and is just trying to protect himself.

The best thing you can do is to separate your two cats, so that the newbie gets time to settle in and become comfortable around you. Then you can start a slow intro: swich toys and bedding between the cats so they get used to eachothers smell. And after a while let them spend some time thogether (supervised by you) and then you slowly increase the time they're together.

Good luck :)

3. vene

vene New Member

I agree with Bente. Slow integration is the best. How are they doing now?