1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Window screens and a claw happy cat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, May 26, 2004.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

My cat loves to claw at our window screens. She knows she's not supposed to. Right now, all I do is give her a stern voice, pull her off the screen (as in unhook her claws), put her on the ground, and shut the window.

I've been tempted to squirt her with a little water. But, I don't want her to freak out and her claws get stuck in the screen. (Once she starts clawing at screens, her claws always get stuck... until she yanks her paw away and creates a new hole in the screen... a place that bugs think is a window!).

Does anyone have suggestions on getting the point across to my cat? It's getting very warm these days and I don't have air conditioning. I must have the windows open. But, I can't be on cat patrol all the time to tell her not to claw at the screens.

Thanks!

2. dolly

dolly New Member

Hi Lucidity03,

The thing to be careful of when using a water gun is that they associate the water with the action (ie scratching the screen) and not you. I have a couple of suggestions that might work, I imagine some other people also have good ideas:

If you keep her claws trimmed while trying to break her of the habit then that will do less damage to the screens and make it more difficult for her to get caught. I personally have used the water pistol, but as I mentioned use this with caution.

There is a product on the market that I haven't tried that I understand is quite effective in breaking bad habits, it's called SSSCAT. It's a motion detector device that sprays a jet of air to startle the cat when they start doing something they aren't supposed to. It doesn't hurt them and the nice thing is that you don't have to be there for it to work. If there are a few windows that she is clawing then you could rotate it so that she learns not to claw all of them. Their website is at

http://www.ssscat.com/

Good luck!

3. footsie

footsie New Member

I have the same problem. Footsie has climbed up all the way to the top of my screen door in the time it takes me to run across the room and get him down.

4. nern

nern New Member

I wonder if you could put some double sided sticky tape across parts of your screen? I'm not sure if it would stick but it might be worth trying to prevent him from scratching them.
    Bean has gotten his claws caught on the screen twice last week and in an attempt to free himself he ripped to holes in it. As long as I keep his nails trimmed this does'nt seem to be a problem...I don't think he is actually scratching the screen but just stretching and getting stuck on it.

5. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I may take a shot at clipping her nails. Since she's 3 years old and not used to it, it may be an adventure!

As for the double-sided tape, I would have to think how to do it. But, if I think of an effective way, that may help.

Thanks for all the advice.

6. Fblack

Fblack New Member

My kitten does it too. But wwhen I see it I give her a stern NO and take her to the scratching post. As for sticky tape, I have tried it for other areas and she just avoids the tape. Trimming nails is a goiod idea. My final thought, it's not that expenssive to rescreen a door so I don't really worry about it. Better a screen than a sofa.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

seems like i read about a substance that is safe but repels cats from places you dont want them. i may have read about it on a bengal site. if i can find it i will share the info.

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I think its a ploy.... THey are trying to create holes to let the bugs in....that way they can annoy they heck outta you and give the cat something to challenge himself with!!!! LOL

9. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Samintentions, That would explain the influx of bugs in my house and very entertained kitties! They love to chase bugs (especially flying ones.)